Hughesnet Community

Says im using all my data and im not even home.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dedds88

Says im using all my data and im not even home.

Every month it sais I'm using all my data in the first 2-4 days and nobody is home or connected to it. I can show on my home cameras nobody is home. They tell me it cost $325 to cancel but I've paid them $840 over the 7 months and haven't received the service I paid for. How is that legal. All I want is out of this company. They don't provide the service I pay $120 a month for.
6 REPLIES 6
gokartergo24
Tutor

More then likley,Your cloud based cameras are using up your bandwidth.

alabamagemini
Spectator

Same Here all my data is used up in 4 days afterpayment. I don't have a streaming camera, cause they said it wounldn't work. Wish I never had Hughes Network.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You don't have to have it if you don't like it. You can pay the ETF and be done with it. 

GabeU

@alabamagemini

If you'd like help in figuring out what is using your data so quickly, please start a new topic in Tech Support, which you can do here...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

maratsade

Dedds88, you have a choice to pay the ETF and cancel the service, or continue and do some troubleshooting on this site to see what's going on.  It's pretty much up to you.  You're under a legal contract, so nothing that's happening is illegal and you will have to continue paying or face legal and financial consequences. You might want to be proactive and troubleshoot the system with the help of people on this site, and find out how to maximize the service. It's very likely your cameras are the culprits, like Gokartego says.  Satellite internet has limitations, which you may have learned during your research phase before you decided to contract with the company.

ARPamIAm
Freshman

An easy check: 1) check your daily data with the Hughes usage monitor - get a sample of 24-48 hrs; 2) then turn off your camera wifi... 3) recheck the daily data after 24-48 hours. 4) compare #1 & #3 results.  If it is the cameras, and high chance it is, you will see a drastic change in the two numbers (they are always on and video is a major usage hog).

Another possibility is if you have auto downloads on streaming data on any devices at home like a laptop or ipad. Music and videos again are culprits.  Is there a device at home that was left on in background, playing music or videos on a tv?

Last, and hopefully not this...but if you have no firewall and your router password was changed to something really simple, it's easy to hack (since it IS visible to those in range)...

Good luck.