Hughesnet Community

Still giving backup tokens during COVID?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amyoliver85

Still giving backup tokens during COVID?

I live in a place where we are still being forced to work from home and won’t be out from under the pandemic for a while. Where I live, basically everyone has to be on HughesNet (rural community) so the speeds are slow after 8am, which invariably leads to eating up my data very quickly. In desperation I started working most of my work hours starting at 4am but with my job it just doesn’t work that way. Are you continuing to offer backup tokens for areas where we still can’t leave our homes and go to work? I work for an education institution and I’m not sure when we’ll be back...
4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You can buy tokens as needed, at $3 per GB, with the minimum package being 3GB for $9. 

GabeU

@Amyoliver85 wrote:
Where I live, basically everyone has to be on HughesNet (rural community) so the speeds are slow after 8am, which invariably leads to eating up my data very quickly.  

Slower speed would actually cause you to use less data during a given time period, not more.

@GabeU wrote:

Slower speed would actually cause you to use less data during a given time period, not more.

If the slower 'throughput' was due to packet resends you would appear to use more data. There could be many reasons for packet resends from network time outs to disrupted/intermittently blocked radio reception to a misaligned dish.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

If the slower 'throughput' was due to packet resends you would appear to use more data. There could be many reasons for packet resends from network time outs to disrupted/intermittently blocked radio reception to a misaligned dish.

Very true, but with the slowdown being time related it's likely caused by the same reason it slows down for many of us during the day, which is an increase in system load.