Hughesnet Community

Windows 10 Question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alana Lynn Andr

Windows 10 Question

Hello everyone--I FINALLY got "logged" back in a few moments ago! I've been trapped in the "Can Not Display Web Page" HE*&&%% Loop!  Anyway--this Windows 10 thing--my question is: If the Windows Automatic Update Function has been permanently disabled (actually going through a third party agency), is my computer going to become a Windows 10 platform? I LOVED XP & I have gotten use to the W7 I use now. I Don't Want Windows 8,9 OR 10--Or  X2 Even! Why can't Billy Gates Just Leave Well Enough Alone?? 
13 REPLIES 13
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Alana, Welcome Back !

As Bill stated you have to "reserve" your copy of Win10 before it can be installed on your computer.

There really is no need to disable all Windows Updates as the "critical" category relates to your computers security.

What happens is ... that during a recent Windows Update cycle a white Windows icon appeared in the "notification areas" in the lower right of the screen:

(click on the picture for a larger image)

Clicking on the white icon opens this display:

(click on the picture for a larger image)

Windows 10 really is optional.

If you DON'T want the upgrade, DON'T click the "reserve" button in the red square shown in the picture above.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You can "un-reserve" it by clicking on the little menu icon in top left corner.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I found it after deciding I wanted to wait.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I'll tell ya, the stuff ya don't learn here !

"I don't have another 8088 to sacrifice, the internet gods will have to be satisfied with an offering of incense.  ;-}"

Sometimes the gods are satisfied by the release of the Magic Smoke contained within electronic devices 🙂

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"I found it after deciding I wanted to wait"

I too will pass on the Win10 upgrade. After running the Win10 Preview version I see no compelling reason to change at this point.

After the bugs are all worked out I likely will buy a full retail version as I have for all Windows releases in the past.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

For those not wishing to be bothered by the upgrade offer uninstall and then hide this Windows Update:

'upgrade to Windows 10' update KB3035583

Alana Lynn Andr

Hey gang--well, I guess the "Internet Gods" will have to do with The SMOKE Coming From My EARS At Times Like These!! LOL!

Anyway--after the "incident" HS came in & zipped my personal pc; the 4square windows thingy changed to a flag with a Circle NO symbol. I am unable to change ANY of the settings--Not even Windows is able to. They get to come in & zip things any time they want--OR--The absolute WORST Thing is me & this personal computer are "Requested" for a "Personal Appearance" at the Federal Building (In ANY of 5 different locations!) I HATE That!!  However--at least the "Off/Restricted" PC Time was way shorter than usual this time!!

Anyway--any "updates" are cleared through the monitoring agency--so I get whatever they "Okay".

My eye is doing Great & I'm actually looking forward to having the other one done!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Alana,
can you post a screenshot of that icon by using the built-in Windows "snipping tool" ?
(how to take and post a screenshot can be found here: http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=9238&forum_id=73

Who is HS ?

It sounds like it may be possible that some type of "ransom-ware" or perhaps even "Steady State" having been installed on your system.

Are you running a Limited User Account or an Admin account type on your computer(s) ?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Gwalk900, if this is a federal computer system, chances are it's highly restricted, and using a WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) setup for updates instead of getting updates directly from Microsoft...  It's something I use on my home network to help keep patches for several machines from being downloaded several times, as well as to help keep bad patches from going through to my computers.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Charles, I got that.
Just wondering if the old tin foil hat is a little tight.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Alana,

Welcome back! Looks like our community members were able to help address your concerns. If we we can help you with any further questions let us know. 

- Chris
Alana Lynn Andr

That would be a "Yep" Chris! There are certainly some very helpful people on this community board.
Alana Lynn Andr

Hey there my Friend--LOL! I "wish" my tin-foil hat was on a bit too tight! Sad to tell you but I think I'm heading off to the UFO "Crash Site" in the wilderness here & see if I can find any of that ship metal; wear THAT & see how things go!!

I forgot that the "weekend" (& Holiday) agents are usually "Grumpier" when they get duty--so I've been trying to post the screenshot of that little flag I've been left with. I have followed Melissa's instructions to the letter; however, No Go. I am seeming to be able to "snip" it, but when I go to the top screen & "Save As" dialogue box has ALL items greyed out. (Except the "Exit" one!)

I tried to get things to work all weekend & maybe that is what "upset" them. Anyway--I wanted to get some of the photos I've got from others (The "Cat with the Sh** Eating Grin" Amanda posted; Your popcorn eating deer & Melissa's Dog) to go on my FB--but THAT isn't happening either!  Oh: BTW: Melissa's directions on how to do this screenshot task is GREAT! Step by Step just like you do! (Tell her that & I LOVE her "Flag Rose"--Wish I Could Get THAT Too!)

Haven't tried FB yet today. Couldn't use it for months now; Oh Well, I'll try later on. (Of course: "We ALL Know It Is Hughesnet That Is 'BLOCKING' The Access"!! LOL!) I have my FB under my name.

HS stands for "Homeland Security" & they are usually Federal Agents who are a Branch of the Treasury Department--at least that is all anyone can/is able to "Trace" them to--IF one leaves "messages" there; usually "some" Answer will get back to you!

Okay--Now you can figure me some "Whack-o"; BIT: I'd Do What Happened Again-In A Heartbeat!!