Hughesnet Community

tried to cancel 3 days after but now going to be charged 800 dollars

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdRiley59

tried to cancel 3 days after but now going to be charged 800 dollars

So I have been mislead and dup'd into a service that I cannot use. I signed up for serivce on April 16th and the tech came out to install it on the 18th. 

today is April 23rd....

When I called to setup service I signed up for business 50 because I use the internet for VPNing into work 100% of the time. I work from home 100% of the time and when i told this to the sales spokesmen he said "well you shouldn't run a vpn for others to connect into you business" I said "no, I dont run a VPN for people to connet to me I connect through a VPN to my company's office to work" .. he said  "ok ok no problem then". Nothing was ever said about it being 80% slower or having any kind of issues like that. 

After a few days of trying to work with it - it is just un-usable for me. up to a 60 second delay between typing keystrokes. it is just not useable for me. I was also told that I would be able to cancel within 30 days and only thing I would be out of money with is the 200 dollar install the tech did. Nothing was ever stated that an 800 dollar contact early termination feee would have to be paid. 

Today I called in and the 2 people I spoke to on the phone acted like it was MY fault. Then they also tried to convince me that i should use the internet for something else. ..reallly? I already stated that I use the internet for 100% work, nothing else. Then I got the "did you troubleshoot this?" .. yes... I am a systems architect; I know what I am doing. Please dont insult me. Then I said well.. "I wasn't told that I had to pay an 800 dollar fee, I said that I was told that within the 30 days I would only be held responsible for the 200 dollar tech install fee". (which I am fine with because the tech did come out and install it, I will cover that part). But now why I am I being told I have to pay 800 dollars more and they are going to wave a 400 install fee... thats funny because that is NOT what was told to me when I setup service. I was told i have 30 days to cancel, and if I do, it is 200 dollars for the tech install fee.

Today I told the account spokesmen that I understand that they are just reading what they are told and I will need to speak to someone higher to get this resolved. They just said, well... they are going to say the same thing (so i was pretty much blown off)

Do I need to start filing a better business bureau complaint on the false sales and cancelation that was told over the phone? Is there someone here that can help or contact me ? This is very upsetting to be told one thing on the phone and then be told "well.. nothing you can do but pay us more money"...Its not like I had the service for 6 months and then decided I can't use it. I have had it for 4 days. 

Order was placed on April 16th at/around 3:15pm to the office in AZ

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@EdRiley59

Unfortunately, this support community is for residential account holders, not business account holders.  The number for tech and billing support for business account holders is 800-347-3272.  You will need to call that number for help with your account.  

Amanda

Hello Ed,

Welcome to our community and thank you for reaching out to us. Generally we do not handle business class accounts however I was able to locate your order, so I went ahead and sent this to our sales managers requesting that it be reviewed if available. As soon as they get back to me I will provide you further information.

Thank you,

Amanda

Amanda

Hi Ed,

Thank you for patiently waiting. I've received the review results:

They did discuss using a VPN, but the agent did not read the complete scripted VPN response of: You can connect to a VPN. But while you are connected to the VPN, your system will slow down up to 70% until you disable the connection and return to normal speeds.

The sales agent did read the customer the following about the cancellation fee:

If you cancel before installation, your credit card will be refunded within 7 business days.

If you cancel after activation but before the end of your 24-month commitment, you will be charged an Early Lease Termination Fee up to $880. The amount will decrease by $35 per month for each month you have active service. You must return your HughesNet modem and power supply within 45 days of cancellation date or be charged a Non-Returned Equipment Fee of $100.

There wasn’t a discussion about a 30 day trial period or only having to pay the $200 tech install fee.

With these results we can definitely waive the early termination fees for you, but you will need to return the HughesNet equipment. Please let me know when you would like to cancel (immediate or end of billing cycle) and then I can discuss further details with you.

Thank you,

Amanda

Amanda

Hi Ed,

Just checking in. Since I haven't heard from you in a while, I will close the thread, but if you still want to accept the cancellation offer please send me a private message.

Thank you,

Amanda