About to escape from sattelitte internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisVZ
Sophomore

About to escape from sattelitte internet

I finally recieved a call today that I have been waiting on for months.  Fiber optic construction in my area is nearing completion and hookups are going to begin in 60 days, thanks to NY's initiative to expand true broadband to 100% of its population by the end of 2018. I will finally be able use the internet the way most of the country already does.  No data limits, no insane amounts of latency, no sitting through a storm without access to the internet, and no more playing videos at the lowest possible resolution to avoid buffering.  And all this for the same price I am currently paying.  I am so looking forward to the day I get to call and cancel.

10 REPLIES 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ChrisVZ

Is this for the entirety of NY state?  

Is there an article about this?  I live in NY state, too, which is why I ask.  

Edit:  Nevermind, I found the site.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Congrats seriously but trust me even fiber optic users experience slowdowns and problems, do a search. Nothing man-made on this earth is perfect.

Again congrats, sure it will be faster with much lower latency. Progress is always nice.

I agree that there may ocassionally be issues with any kind of internet service, but I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that it will be fewer than I have had with a sattelitte connection.  The local telephone company that I will be using has a great reputation and in the 3 interactions I have had with them so far have all been great with knowledgable people and quick to respond to any questions.  Any one of the benefits listed in my original post would make the switch worth it, and getting them all makes it a no brainer.

maratsade

Well, good for you, and good luck!

@ChrisVZ wrote:

I finally recieved a call today that I have been waiting on for months.  Fiber optic construction in my area is nearing completion and hookups are going to begin in 60 days, thanks to NY's initiative to expand true broadband to 100% of its population by the end of 2018. I will finally be able use the internet the way most of the country already does.  No data limits, no insane amounts of latency, no sitting through a storm without access to the internet, and no more playing videos at the lowest possible resolution to avoid buffering.  And all this for the same price I am currently paying.  I am so looking forward to the day I get to call and cancel.

ChrisVZ
Sophomore

Well, this past week with Hughes has only intensified my impatience to get rid of them.  Started with a "Failure to transmit" error that lasted several hours and since my system came back up, I have been getting horrible connections.  Running speed tests revealed that my upload speeds are almost non existent.  Always less than 0.1mbps.  And let's not forget that the real time monitor in a game I play is frequently showing 20-40% packet loss.  Tick tock Hughes...  less than a month to go. 

GabeU

A "failure to transmit" error could be caused by inclement weather at your gateway. 

Not weather related.  Only one day has had clouds, rest were cold with clear skies.

GabeU

@ChrisVZ wrote:

Not weather related.  Only one day has had clouds, rest were cold with clear skies.

What city is your gateway located in?  Not your location, but your gateway.  

Dunno, and don't really care.  This company is in my ICU and I'm pulling the plug. There will be no mourners at the funeral.

GabeU

@ChrisVZ wrote:

Dunno, and don't really care.  This company is in my ICU and I'm pulling the plug. There will be no mourners at the funeral.

Okay.  Well, like I said, weather at your gateway can cause issuse, just like weather at your own location. 

Good luck with your new ISP.