Amazon Prime Day is coming!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Amazon Prime Day is coming!

Amazon Prime Day is July 16 (afternoon)-July 17 (all day). If you're thinking of buying any electronics (or anything), I'd advise waiting for Prime Day. If you don't have Prime, this would be a good time to sign up for a free trial.

Two years ago I got a Fitbit for my daughter at half price. I've also gotten a refurbished TV, a Dell refurbished laptop, HDMI cables, and other electronics at a fraction of the regular price on Prime Day. Some deals go really fast (Fitbits), so look early!

Because of my arthritis, I'm a heavy Amazon user. Why haul a 40 lb box of cat litter out to my car, then take it out of my car and lug it up the steps when Amazon will bring it right to my doorstep for cheaper? I also buy paper products and cleaning products 3 times a year with Prime Pantry, where you fill up a huge box for $5 shipping, which more than pays for itself with the super cheap prices available only on Prime Pantry items. As a scholar, I buy tons of books, almost always used, for next to nothing. LOL, my mail carrier hates me. The other day when he was lugging a fairly heavy shelving unit I bought and 4 40 lb boxes of cat litter (will last 6 months) up the steps, he told my daughter, "Tell your mom there's help for Amazon addiction!"

ANYWAY...my point is, if you're considering some electronics purchases, wait for Prime Day!
70 REPLIES 70
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@maratsade wrote:

I had the package in the rain thing happen a week or two ago.

I've been lucky when it comes to this.  With UPS, if it's raining and the item is small, they'll put it between my screen and inside door.  If it's too large to do that they'll put it in a bag and on the end of the porch.  They'll also bag it if it's not yet raining, but looks like it will.  My UPS guy is pretty good.  

When they use SurePost, the UPS/USPS service, it ends up at my post office, as I have a PO Box due to a snow plow taking out my mailbox a couple of winters ago and me not having installed another one since it happened.  I really only have one place I can put it, and in order to put a new one there I have to dig the 100lb blob of concrete from the old one out of the ground.

maratsade

I have a gated yard, and the postmaster told me the postmen aren't allowed to go into gated yards, because there have been severe incidents involving dogs.   The UPS and FedEx people seem to have no such constraint, as they leave packages on my porch all the time. 

I don't blame them, though, for looking out for the safety of their employees, and I'm glad they have this policy. This is one of the reasons I was looking 'round the Web yesterday, pricing extra large mailboxes.  I'm seriously considering getting one to set up outside the gate.  

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade wrote:

I had the package in the rain thing happen a week or two ago.

I've been lucky when it comes to this.  With UPS, if it's raining and the item is small, they'll put it between my screen and inside door.  If it's too large to do that they'll put it in a bag and on the end of the porch.  They'll also bag it if it's not yet raining, but looks like it will.  My UPS guy is pretty good.  

When they use SurePost, the UPS/USPS service, it ends up at my post office, as I have a PO Box due to a snow plow taking out my mailbox a couple of winters ago and me not having installed another one since it happened.  I really only have one place I can put it, and in order to put a new one there I have to dig the 100lb blob of concrete from the old one out of the ground.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Could always build a MailBox...  We have a steel reinforced wooden crate with a keypad lock on it that goes to the end of our drive when we are expecting oversized deliveries... Ya know, large car parts, tv's, that sorta thing.  Saves everyone headaches, and the delivery guys always know the code as they are making constant deliveries here.  Have never had an issue with theft... I would love to see a thief try to take a 200 pound crate that's bolted to a concrete pad!  Would be even more fun to watch them try to break it open.

maratsade

I'm seriously considering this. 

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Could always build a MailBox...  We have a steel reinforced wooden crate with a keypad lock on it that goes to the end of our drive when we are expecting oversized deliveries... Ya know, large car parts, tv's, that sorta thing.  Saves everyone headaches, and the delivery guys always know the code as they are making constant deliveries here.  Have never had an issue with theft... I would love to see a thief try to take a 200 pound crate that's bolted to a concrete pad!  Would be even more fun to watch them try to break it open.

I think it has a lot to do with the individual mail carrier with USPS. When we lived in Sacramento, my (now ex) husband and I got some packages containing some very precious items that were part of his inheritance from his grandfather. The carrier, apparently not wanting to leave the packages on the large, covered front porch, threw them over the back fence in the pouring rain! Into mud! Then our dogs tore the packages apart. We didn't even find the stuff until two days later because no note was left indicating that packages had been left in the back yard. The Post Office refused to do anything.

The guy I have now is great! If it's something he knows is too heavy for me to carry inside, he'll bring it right into the living room (if I'm home). If it's raining or snowing and I'm not home, he'll leave the packages in my carport so they don't get wet. If he's delivering a package, he always brings my mail too, so I don't have to make a separate trip out to the mailbox.

Also, there is a stand of about eight mailboxes almost right in front of my house. However, I was the "cutoff" house, so my mailbox was way down the street at the next row. So I went into our tiny post office and talked to the post master and asked how I could go about petitioning to move my mailbox to the stand in front of my house. She said, "I know which row you're talking about (!). There's plenty of room for your box. Just go ahead and move it and I'll let Larry (the carrier) know." That was it. No paperwork, no fuss.
GabeU

I always order on the assumption that the weekends don't count, and because of that, stock wise, I normally restrict my ordering days to Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, with Sunday being after the cutoff and Wednesday being before the cutoff.   

If I order on one of those days, not only do they have only a day to pull, pack and ship the order, lessening the chance of running out of stock of the item(s), but I also know I'll receive it within two days of ordering.  This is, of course, when everything works the way it should.  If I order after the cutoff on Wednesday, but before the cutoff on Thursday, I expect to receive the order on Monday, and if it's after that, but before the Sunday cutoff point, I expect to receive the order on Tuesday.  But, with both of those latter scenarios, they have those extra days with which to wait before they pull, pack and ship the order, increasing the possibility of them running out of stock of the item(s).  

Prior to having Prime, I would place the order whenever, but making sure that I reached the $35 minimum for free 8-10 day ground shipping.  I actually haven't paid for shipping on an order since 2008.   I thought it was never, but I went back and checked through my orders, and the last one with shipping actually paid for was in 2008. 

@maratsade  I forgot to mention that my order was delivered today.  🙂  

GabeU, if a Prime eligible item comes even a day late, call customer service and complain. They will generally give you a free month of Prime to make it up to you.
maratsade

Amazon.com has been down since Prime Day started.... [eye roll]