Apple macOS 10.13.1 and iOS 11.1 are out

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Apple macOS 10.13.1 and iOS 11.1 are out

Aside from the usual silliness (like 70 new emojis? like, we really need more useless emojis) both of these address recently found KRACK Wifi vulnerabilities.

So get (un)kracking...

Ars Technica: Apple releases macOS 10.13.1 and iOS 11.1 with a KRACK fix and new emoji

Edit: The macOS update could take about a half hour, despite saying 2 minutes, then blanking the screen for 5 minutes, then saying 36, then 17, then 26...
Just let it run until you get a proper login screen.

Apple's concept of installtion time estimates is like the Red Room in Twin Peaks.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

As soon as I saw there's going to be new emojis, I couldn't wait to update (eyeroll). 🙂

maratsade

"Apple's concept of installtion time estimates is like the Red Room in Twin Peaks."

It's like the coffee that changes states: fluid, solid, thick... A metaphor for the changing speeds....

ETA:

https://youtu.be/ab-l6vhq5vc

Drinking coffee in the Black Lodge is far from ordinary.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

At least Apple knows how to ask if you want to restore apps at your next logon instead of opening every friggen thing in the world that you didn't close at log off. -.-

Yes, I am refering to this horrible FCU on Win10.

Most of that is all from FreeBSD. Apple basically added some apps, created a GUI engine (Cocoa); as well as a slightly modified the file system that is somewhat like their old Apple HFS system of data forks, but using dot-files and special folder types.

@MarkJFine

I just recently discovered that updates done by cli are quite a bit faster.  🚂

maratsade

I ran the OS update for my Mac laptop, and it was fairly fast.

After downloading the OS updates, MS told me there were updates for the Office suite (which I need to have on my Mac).  Those puppies took over 8 hours to download. What the fork, Microsoft???

Uh oh... looks like Level3 with a bad route to MS again

maratsade

I've always had trouble updating any MS related stuff. It always takes so forking long.  The Office files weren't all that large either -- less than 2 GB (ETA: total. One was 1 GB and the others all were less and added to about 1 GB).  Grrrr.

Sometimes the notes in a new update to Xcode are pretty foreboding. Latest one updates for:
iOS 11.2 (current is 11.1.2)

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (current is 10.13.1)

watchOS 4.2

tvOS 11.2

Looks like os updates are imminent....

Edit: iOS 11.2 is out now. #ThatWasQuick

maratsade

Do they make whoever works on these things stay at work until they've fixed the issue?

I think they actually stay late to re-break old ones and create new ones, personally.

maratsade

Clearly, we're witnessing a conspiracy. 😉