Blizzard Warning...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Blizzard Warning...

It's been a while since we've had one of them, as well as a travel ban.  When everything is closed and you have a travel ban, and all of this is occurring around Buffalo, you know it's bad.  LOL.  

It's 8:03PM and already -3, and we're supposed to get another foot of snow, as well as wind gusts up to 45Mph.  The wind worries me, as it's during high winds when we normally lose our power.  

Fun times!!!  

It could be worse.  I could live in Minnesota.  

12 REPLIES 12
maratsade

Silver lining: you can start putting together my snow order. 😉

Seriously, though, stay safe and warm! 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Silver lining: you can start putting together my snow order. 😉

Seriously, though, stay safe and warm! 

Oh, I'll have plenty.  Might even throw some in for free!!!!  😛  

I'm glad I have the new furnace.  🙂  

maratsade

Thank goodness for the new furnace!  And it looks like you have good satellite signal too. 🙂

GabeU

For now.  It's not snowing very much at present, but the main band is starting to move south.  It's going to be right over top of us in a few hours.  Then, by morning, it will start moving back north again.  Lake effect snow is goofy like that.  

maratsade

Here's hoping everything's ok with everyone over there.  

@GabeU wrote:

For now.  It's not snowing very much at present, but the main band is starting to move south.  It's going to be right over top of us in a few hours.  Then, by morning, it will start moving back north again.  Lake effect snow is goofy like that.  

@GabeU wrote:

It's 8:03PM and already -3, and we're supposed to get another foot of snow, as well as wind gusts up to 45Mph.  The wind worries me, as it's during high winds when we normally lose our power.  

It seems that no matter where you live, it's always something,  Right now, down here in the Suwanee river hammock it's water.  I haven't seen it this high in the fifteen years I've been here.  Caused by a combination of the river being high and locally heavy rains.  As a result, a lot of peoples wells are full of iron and tannin.  I was lucky to get some people to come out and replace the birm in my iron filter.  Usually my water softener is enough to handle the iron,  but not in these conditions.

Good luck with your power! 

On the topic of snow, has anyone tried out a satellite dish heater? Does it work better than sweeping the snow off with one of those fuzzy things?

Any snow birds with an opinion? 🙂

@MrBuster wrote:

LOL  Here in Florida people are called snow birds if they spend their winters in Florida, and their summers back up north. There are so many of them, it can actually effect the local economy when they go back.   By that time, the snow has probably already melted off their dishes though.  :>)>

@gaines_wright

I'm a Texas native born and raised, we've got 'snow birds' too 🙂 We call them "Winter Texans" and they sure do make business boom!

@Amanda wrote:

I'm a Texas native born and raised, we've got 'snow birds' too 🙂 We call them "Winter Texans" and they sure do make business boom!

I hope native Texans aren't as rare in Texas as native Floridians are here in Florida.  Of course we have another invasive species to deal with: the quarterback.  These are the people that move from up north to south Florida ( where the jobs are ), and then move a quarter of the way back to north Florida to retire.  :>)> 

maratsade

I researched dish heaters a couple of years ago and they didn't seem to be all that good. I use a soft brush to gently clean snow and ice from the dish, and it works very well.

MrBuster wrote:

On the topic of snow, has anyone tried out a satellite dish heater? Does it work better than sweeping the snow off with one of those fuzzy things?

GabeU

@MrBuster wrote:

From what I've seen they can work, but are often too much of a hassle.  

Someone (BirdDog?) brought something up during a recent discussion on this, and that was regarding the idea of having electricity going to something outdoors, unprotected, and metal.  I don't relish the idea, personally.  

I do fine with a brush.  It can be a pain, but it is what it is.