Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adulla
New Poster

Fraud services

Hi
I was a new customer until today
Did anyone else experience no service then when you try to cancel was charged almost $400?
12 REPLIES 12
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Read the legally binding subscriber agreement. Charging a fine for cancelling the agreement early is not fraud. 

True
What is not not true is the service advertised.
To my knowledge the term ‘fraud’ applies.
maratsade

The advertisements have disclaimers regarding the service -- they do not promise anything.  This is not fraud, as the advertising complies with advertising rules. 

The advertisements, the website, and most importantly, the subscriber agreement, contain multiple disclaimers regarding the service and its limitations.

I understand you may feel disappointed with the service or even angry with it --  but even so, no fraud has been committed, as the freely available materials online (website and legal site) clearly spell out the expectations for the service.  Hopefully you read all of that before signing up.  

Do you have anything else available in your area that you could switch to? 

Yes
I’ve changed provider and by some miracle, I have now an acceptable services.
Regarding services agreements and small print information,
I’m sure you are legally protected by language used on website and disclaimer.
What you do not respond to is the actual call with your sales reps and the information they provides, selected wording and avoidance of actual true services expected.
Yet after the fact, when your customer falls to the sales trap, there are pages on pages of small print with legal language that protects you from liability.
You may not be liable legally
But make sure that I will advertise your service and handling of the matter on all online avenues.
All I am asking for is reasonable discharge from your services without paying such ridiculous fees.
maratsade

Glad to hear you have service that's working for you! Good luck! (And I'm a subscriber too, not a HughesNet employee -- for anyone else reading this, the HughesNet employees have the word "Moderator" next to their names/handles). 

HI....just curious what area you in?  Im in Borrego Springs, and I have Hughs Net.....They seem to be the only Provider in this area, which is horrible.  Its slow, costly and as far as I can see there is no other option.  I dont understand why they cant offer a decent Internet, with Unlimited use??  You have to buy tokens??  Had i know all this prior to the move, i would NEVER have moved here.........I have increased my amount to them so that I can get 50MBS now instead of the standard 20.......STILL its slow, frustrating and really bad infrstructure....but what you can do??

maratsade

What you can do, Kay Lynn, is learn how satellite internet works and about the limitations that explain why satellite internet providers can't offer unlimited internet.  You could also read the disclaimers on the website and more importantly, in the subscriber agreement (which is legally binding),  both of which are freely available for everyone to read before they subscribe.

Savvy consumers should do research before they enter into an agreement, and should they decide to proceed, learn to modify their expectations based on the product they are getting.  Satellite internet doesn't and can't work like terrestrial internet (such as cable, fiber, and even DSL).  You could learn to budget your allowance to make it last, or accept that if you can't, you will need to buy tokens to extend it. 

Another thing you can do is contact your local county authorities and ask them to provide incentives for terrestrial companies to come to the area and offer their services. These companies don't come to rural areas because they don't care to do business there. It's not worth it for them; they aren't interested. 

@KayLynnCass wrote:

HI....just curious what area you in?  Im in Borrego Springs, and I have Hughs Net.....They seem to be the only Provider in this area, which is horrible.  Its slow, costly and as far as I can see there is no other option.  I dont understand why they cant offer a decent Internet, with Unlimited use??  You have to buy tokens??  Had i know all this prior to the move, i would NEVER have moved here.........I have increased my amount to them so that I can get 50MBS now instead of the standard 20.......STILL its slow, frustrating and really bad infrstructure....but what you can do??

GabeU

@KayLynnCass wrote:

I dont understand why they cant offer a decent Internet, with Unlimited use??   

Technically it is unlimited, just not unlimited high speed.  They aren't going to offer what they can't provide. 

Thanks for the 101 lesson.......But its sad there is no other service here...and I get the Technical mumble jumble.  Sadly its my fault I didnt understand this when I moved here.  I was simply told by people..."of course there is internet here".  I do budget the "time" thank you, but my work is basically on the Internet, which I have had to sadly cut back on.  I am planning to move out of this area within the year, and I would certainly warn people who want to move here to research it throughly.   Thank you for your time, its greatly appreciated.....and yes being in a Rural area has its advantages (albeit very few) and its disadvantages....(albeit MANY).  

maratsade

I doubt there would be many people who wouldn't sympathise with you; moving to a rural area and expecting certain services is something many of us have done, but we should not blame the company that brings a service to the region; we should ask the companies that can't be bothered with us, the ones who don't want our business why that is, and we should involve our local and federal government as well, as they can provide incentives for these companies to come to our rural areas.  Contacting your representatives in your district and in Congress and asking them to provide incentives to cable providers would be something  proactive you could use your energy on.  Write, call, start a petition, etc.  

I would never ask for any sympthy from anyone.....I was kinda forced into the move here due to not only Covid but personal family matters.  It was in the end my choice, so I take full responsibility for my decisions.  I was told in no uncertain terms, that Internet was available here, and it provided good service.  Im not arguing that Huges does not provide good service, I was just not aware that Unlimited was no option here.  I have lived in the City my entire life, so all this is extremely new to me.  Even the grocery shopping is a culture shock.....as for writing my Representatives, other companies etc....I have researched that recently.  It seems that this area is fading fast, due to a severe and more then likely water shortage....From what im reading this town will become a ghost town within the next decade or so.  SO yes I completely understand the avoidance of any company wanting to root there business here.  I thank you for your reply,  but trust me I am no woman to ever ask for or look for sympathy.....I again appreciate your feedback, and have taken it all into consideration.  But if Borrego Springs is to become a ghost town in the years to come....then I need to weigh my options for the near furture.  Thank you again....stay safe, stay healthy, and thanks for the frankness.  

maratsade

Moving from the city to a rural area can be a significant culture shock, no doubt. I was pretty shocked myself when I made the move.

As for unlimited service, HN does provide it in that they don't cut you off when you've used your data package. What they do is throttle your speed so you can still do some things (email and basic browsing) but not data intensive things like streaming or using Zoom.  And you can buy tokens to restore full functionality, but this can be expensive if you need to buy a lot of tokens (though the price for tokens is much cheaper than what Verizon charges for their tokens). 

In your place, I would also be weighing options, and fast. Best of luck to you, and I hope you find a workable solution.