Hi guys! Long time no see!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi guys! Long time no see!

Hi guys! (I'm from the west coast, where "guys" refers to everyone.) It's me, Chewagirl-- I signed in with social media so I guess they changed my name. How are you all? I've been away for a while, what with working, writing my dissertation, and only 24 hours in a day, etc. As always, my Hughesnet is performing well within acceptable parameters, no issues. Well, it's too expensive, but I say that about everything, haha! I'm also job searching, as my current job ends July 31. Job searching is truly a soul-sucking experience. Anyway--enough about me. How are you all?? I see a lot of familiar names here and that made me smile. 😀 So what have you been up to?
8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Good to see you!  I had been wondering where you'd gone. 

Hi Maratsade! Nice to see you, assistant professor! 😀
maratsade

I've been working hard for tenure. LOL

Are you writing your doctoral thesis? Will you be Doctor Chewagirl soon?

Indeed I am, Maratsade! I went back to college in my old age, haha, and I'm getting my PhD in Leadership Studies, emphases in African and African American Studies. What is your field of study? Working for tenure--good for you! You undoubtedly know the current situation with adjuncts--I'm really hoping I can find a tenure track position. If I wanted to adjunct for $12 per hour I could have done that with my master's degree!
maratsade

Actually, I was joking about tenure, in reference to my having an assistant professor badge.  🙂  I'm  a lawyer (international mergers and acquisitions).

How much longer do you have before we can start calling you Doctor?  I have heard that adjuncts don't do very well at all, which is a shame, since they are so important to education. 

The first time around in college (many moons ago) I was a poli sci major and intended to go to law school and practice some sort of international law. Still a political junkie, but after being married to a banking lawyer for 18 years I decided lawyer-ing was not for me. But kudos to you! M&A is pretty complex stuff!

You can start calling me Doc Brown in early November, after I defend. 😀👩🏻‍🎓

Yeah, the situation with adjuncts is horrible--zero job security because you're hired a year, or even a semester, at a time. Many adjuncts are "freeway flyers"--driving between two or even three colleges to put together enough classes to eek out an annual salary of $20,000-$30,000! Literally $12-$15 per hour. No benefits whatsoever. I have 14 years of higher education. So...we'll see.

My niece, OTOH, was much smarter than I. Just got a double major degree in economics and Japanese, with a math minor. Lived in Japan for a year. Scored a great internship. She just got into the economics masters program at Fordham. She wants to do international business. She'll out-earn me her first year out, lol!!

Oh well, I'm doing what I love, and that's what counts. 😀
GabeU

@debbie.jean.bro

Welcome back!  🙂  🙂  🙂 

It's definitely been a while.  

Thanks Gabe! 😀