Hughesnet Community

Internet speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DSfarmgirl

Internet speed

I would like to know how you can claim that your Gen 5 service is the fastest internet I can get.....I was in Oregon visiting my father in the hospital last week....I stayed in an air-bnb that had Centurylink 'land line' internet service - I was amazed how much faster it was than the Gen 5 service I get from Hughesnet.......why is that?  Now that I'm home using my own service - I find it disappointing.  It's so slow....I have stuff that won't even load up on my service that I could get to load on the 'land line' service in Oregon......that just doesn't seem right somehow......

2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

People shopping for a product or service should ALWAYS do their own research and NEVER rely on a company representative when it comes to opinions on who's the fastest or best.  Speed is also subjective.  Fastest compared to what?  A directly competing service?  Another type of service?  Service in another area?  Service in another state?  Again, speed is subjective, and "fastest" is subjective, as well.  

If you're having speed or other issues with HughesNet please start a new topic in the Tech Support section to get help.  

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"I stayed in an air-bnb that had Centurylink 'land line' internet service - I was amazed how much faster it was than the Gen 5 service I get from Hughesnet.......why is that? "

Duh, because satellite internet is affected by latency. Can't change the latency (laws of physics and all that sort of stuff), so it will likely always be slower.