Lost connection for a short time....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Lost connection for a short time....

Did anyone else lose their connection for about ten or twelve minutes around 1:00AM EST on 8/28?  No weather here or at my gateway, and my signal strength was great, but I lost connection to the gateway.  

In the early evening I was intermittently losing connection with one of my DirecTV tuners.  Again, no weather.  

I didn't read about anything, but I wonder if there were some solar flares that we are dealing with.  My DirecTV never does that unless there is bad weather, and to have both systems lose connection within hours of each other?  Very weird.  

NOTE:  This thread is a specific question about a specific occurrence.  Please do not flood it with posts about your HughesNet issues.  

12 REPLIES 12
MarkJFine
Professor

Was a geomagnetic storm on the 26th, with K-indeces between 5 and 7. Slight recurrence between 15-21UT yesterday afternoon.

I also noticed a short outage last evening, but it was well after 21UT. More like closer to midnight-1ish UT. I just assumed a rain storm was coming because it looked real greenish-orange out at sundown. But now in retrospect, it could have very well been a daytime aurora (if that's even possible).

Could also have been a result of Jose Mourinho losing 3-nil to Spurs... at Old Trafford. Lol

Edit: If you ever need a resource: http://www.spaceweather.com/

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Very cool site, Mark.

GabeU

@MarkJFine

I figured it might be something like that.  It's too coincidental that both systems were being affected within hours of each other.  

Very interesting.  

maratsade

"No weather here or at my gateway, and my signal strength was great, but I lost connection to the gateway.  "

It was me, sorry. I turned on the vacuum cleaner.

maratsade

I wasn't using the service at that time, so I don't know if it happened here, but what Mark said makes sense. Seems the storm was significant.

yeah, but it was high level for about 6 hours. Think the TV was out here for maybe 5 minutes after it was over.

Unless, maybe, there was also a proton event that I didn't see?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

It was also on the 26th, so maybe it was the remnants?  

If it were the actual flare or coronal emission that occurred on the 26th, maybe. But the effect had already travelled here as evidenced by the elevated A/K indexes. I am certain shortwave (if it still even exists, haven't checked in a while) was practically non-existent on the 26th, and mid-day yesterday, though I've seen some rare long-path DX during those periods.

maratsade

Wel, I'm going back to my using the Hoover, then. 

I'm supposed to be cleaning this week. After running 7mi in this morning's heat/humidity I can't stop my calves from cramping. So, that's not happening.

maratsade

That sounds brutal. I hope your calves stopped cramping. 

Thanks... felt like I ran a half. It eventually subsided. Drank a lot of water today. That usually helps too.