PlayOn Cloud

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

PlayOn Cloud

Has anyone used PlayOn Cloud?  According to their site, it's "The mobile app that lets you record and download streaming shows and movies to watch offline."  

22 REPLIES 22
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Amanda wrote:

Got the app on my android phone and I am using the free credit to download a 20 minute TV show from Netflix. Echostar 17, Gen5 10GB, 2.4GHz (down the hall from it) for reference. Downloading in SD format. Will see how it goes on the first device then try to watch it on other devices.

Is fun to play and test something so I took the plunge also and here are my results so far.

1. It does work. I recorded an episode of Travelers on Netflix about 49 minutes in length.

2. Then downloaded to my phone. Can set to automatically download or set schedule in settings which is beta so don't know how that works yet.

3. It takes about the same length to record on the cloud as to watch the video, so my 49 minute video took a bit over that to record and do whatever it does on their side.

4. Nice thing is you can set everything to record during the day while you're awake and won't download until you do it manually or what you have set in the schedule. So user does have control when they actually use the data to download it. But the recording sits there in the cloud for 7 days to do so, unless you also buy a cloud package.

So kind of up to the folks here if it is worth it to them sign up for the service. Is pretty neat IMO. Do need to realize when it is downloaded it is going to use the data just like normal so the higher definition used the higher the download amount. Someone who goes crazy with HD download during Bonus time is going to burn that data up fairly quickly. Also download speed during Bonus time goes up and down depending who is doing what and when just like the daytime. If lots of folks start using this service and download during Bonus time it could have a large impact on speed depending how many are doing it on a particular beam/gateway.

Amanda will probably have something to add.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

So it uses data to DL (which of course makes sense) but not to play, right?

@BirdDog wrote:

Is fun to play and test something so I took the plunge also and here are my results so far.

1. It does work. I recorded an episode of Travelers on Netflix about 49 minutes in length.

2. Then downloaded to my phone. Can set to automatically download or set schedule in settings which is beta so don't know how that works yet.

3. It takes about the same length to record on the cloud as to watch the video, so my 49 minute video took a bit over that to record and do whatever it does on their side.

4. Nice thing is you can set everything to record during the day while you're awake and won't download until you do it manually or what you have set in the schedule. So user does have control when they actually use the data to download it. But the recording sits there in the cloud for 7 days to do so, unless you also buy a cloud package.

So kind of up to the folks here if it is worth it to them sign up for the service. Is pretty neat IMO. Do need to realize when it is downloaded it is going to use the data just like normal so the higher definition used the higher the download amount. Someone who goes crazy with HD download during Bonus time is going to burn that data up fairly quickly. Also download speed during Bonus time goes up and down depending who is doing what and when just like the daytime. If lots of folks start using this service and download during Bonus time it could have a large impact on speed depending how many are doing it on a particular beam/gateway.

Amanda will probably have something to add.