Re: Extremely slow speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BAKER072
Freshman

Re: Extremely slow speed

Very slow speed I agree we are not getting what was promised,, I have two internet companies , thinking Hughesnet was better in regard to speed .
My other internet is only internet 5 , and it's faster than this much faster ...
I currently still use their internet service now when I have slow speeds with Hughesnet... 😳 something just isn't right here , my other company not to mention any names but even if I did no one has heard of them before ..
I can tell you they are from South FL and it's not Satellite internet ..
I ordered cause of the commercial but if things don't change when this contract ends I am done with Hughesnet ..
The commercial is advertising falsely also I have heard from reading here that after three months the bill increases..
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BAKER072 wrote: 
The commercial is advertising falsely also I have heard from reading here that after three months the bill increases..

Just like on the HughesNet website, the TV commercials have fine print.  As well, the HughesNet Subscriber Agreement is available for anyone on the net to read, and every prospective customer should read that agreement before signing up for service.  Along the same lines, everyone should thoroughly research HughesNet before making the decision of signing up for it, especially considering the fact that it comes with a 24 month commitment.  IOW, know what you're buying before you buy it.

There is no bill increase after three months unless you signed up through a reseller that offered such.  Initial plan discounts with HughesNet proper, if they are offered at the given time, are for either 12 months or 24 months, and such is indicated on the website and/or during the sales call.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade

They didn't promise you anything. In fact, they say clearly, in several places, that speeds are not guaranteed. 

If your other company is not satellite internet, then there's no comparison, as satellite internet works differently than terrestrial internet simply because of physics.

No, the commercials are not advertising falsely. 

This is a tech support site. If you have tech support needs, start a new topic by going to the Tech Support page and clicking "start a topic."  For idle chat, go to social media such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.

GabeU

@BAKER072 wrote: 

Just like on the HughesNet website, the TV commercials have fine print.  As well, the HughesNet Subscriber Agreement is available for anyone on the net to read, and every prospective customer should read that agreement before signing up for service.  Along the same lines, everyone should thoroughly research HughesNet before making the decision of signing up for it, especially considering the fact that it comes with a 24 month commitment.  IOW, know what you're buying before you buy it.

There is no bill increase after three months unless you signed up through a reseller that offered such.  Initial plan discounts with HughesNet proper, if they are offered at the given time, are for either 12 months or 24 months, and such is indicated on the website and/or during the sales call.

Thank you that does help me and your right I agree with you regarding a 24 month contract , I should have looked into this further, before I agreed to it that's on me.
For a future reference , going forward should I have any issues , when you talk about opening a ticket by that you mean create a new subject for tech support to help me .
GabeU

@BAKER072 wrote: 
For a future reference , going forward should I have any issues , when you talk about opening a ticket by that you mean create a new subject for tech support to help me .

Yep.  If/when you do, try to describe the issue as best you can, and anything that you've tried thus far to diagnose or fix the issue.  That can include anything that a rep may have tried or done or instructed you to try or do, as with most of us on here being fellow customers we don't have access to see case notes on what's already been done.  Only the reps on here (Liz, Damian, Remy, etc) have that access, but much of the time it will be fellow customers who will try to help you, or at least in the beginning.  You can tell if someone is a rep by the "moderator" tag next to their name.

ReederP
New Poster

I have been dealing with slow internet since before Covid. We signed a 2-year agreement to boost the speed (recommended by tech support) and there is no difference. I can't make calls using WiFi on my phone, Zoom is so slow I can't attend my work meetings, and if I try to watch anything I spend half the time watching the loading bar.
Why am I paying more? Now I'm locked into a 2-year agreement but I can't do my job so I have to drive to Starbucks to attend meetings.
Suggestions?
maratsade

Suggestions: 

• Start your own ticket by going to the Tech Support page and clicking on "Start a topic."  Provide details of the problems you're experiencing.  This area where you have posted is not for HughesNet support. 
  • To have speed issues addressed on this site you will need to follow the instructions here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/td-p/110034/jump-to/first...
  • Wifi calling is neither recommended nor supported by HughesNet. You'd need to have HughesNet Voice, which works with the system, though your mileage may vary. 
  • While streaming is possible with satellite internet, the capacity to do so varies immensely, so everyone's experience will be different. You may be in an area that's congested, with a lot of people trying to stream. This is going to affect your experience. Currently, given the network optimisation strategies, it may affect it even more. 
  • Read the subscriber agreement to know what the conditions are and what you can do if you're not happy with them. 
  • You can always cancel the subscription, but if you're still under contract there will be penalties, and the company won't even consider giving you a break if you have not proactively provided them with the opportunity to improve your system first (this is something all ISPs do). 
ReederP wrote:
I have been dealing with slow internet since before Covid. We signed a 2-year agreement to boost the speed (recommended by tech support) and there is no difference. I can't make calls using WiFi on my phone, Zoom is so slow I can't attend my work meetings, and if I try to watch anything I spend half the time watching the loading bar.
Why am I paying more? Now I'm locked into a 2-year agreement but I can't do my job so I have to drive to Starbucks to attend meetings.
Suggestions?

GabeU

@ReederP wrote:
We signed a 2-year agreement to boost the speed (recommended by tech support) and there is no difference. 

There is a 24 month commitment for all new customers.  For existing customers, when upgrading service type, such as from Gen4 or prior to Gen5, there is a new 24 month commitment.

There is no 24 month commitment option to boost speed, save for the aforementioned service upgrade, of which Gen5 offers higher speed in comparison to prior plans.