Speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
corofin27214
Freshman

Speed

New to Hughesnet. Swapped provider because of advertised 25mbps. So far a joke. I'm sorry already and when I called support my disappointment only escalated. Don't think I'll recommend. Is there a grace period or am I stuck? One would think 30 days would be appropriate to cancel without a penalty.
23 REPLIES 23
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Once your system is installed, you're bound contractually and there is no grace period to cancel.  Though satellite internet has limitations when compared to terrestrial internet, you can still maximise your potential.  You should post your concerns under Tech Support, and be prepared to troubleshoot.

@corofin27214 wrote:
New to Hughesnet. Swapped provider because of advertised 25mbps. So far a joke. I'm sorry already and when I called support my disappointment only escalated. Don't think I'll recommend. Is there a grace period or am I stuck? One would think 30 days would be appropriate to cancel without a penalty.

RSimms
New Poster

YOU WOULD THINK HUGHESNEY WOULD WHANT TO ITS CUSTOMERS HAPPY NUT THEY DONT CARE I HAVE A 50 GIG ACCOUNT AND I CAN GET OVER .O52 AND IT RUNS THE METER DOWN IN ONLY 2 WEEKS AND I CAMT GET OUT OF IT 

maratsade

You run out of data because you use your data, dude. No one is using it for you.  

GabeU

@RSimms 

It's a bit pointless to complain about your speed when you already did so in June, then just disappeared.

gw86054
Freshman

so slow the speed test timed out. my advice is just stop paying--document speeds below 25-which is everyday==go to court--judge judy will drill them.  start a you tube channel snd show their ad and then your buffering

Slow speed ! How about no speed ! For the past 3 months i have been unable to access the internet between the hours of 4pm and 10pm East Coast Time and yet they just raised the price of the service by $30 ?

maratsade

• Satellite internet broadband is limited and must be shared by all subscribers. 
  • The more subscribers using the system, the less broadband and the lower the speed. 
  • This is especially during prime time. 
  • "No speed" is an exaggeration.
  • To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607
  • Show where they raised the price of the service. Are you sure the $30 wasn't a discount that lapsed?
  • This is a tech support community. You'd  benefit yourself if you used it for tech support. 

It'd be nice if the mods locked this thread, as it's derailed into a complaints thread -- this is not the purpose of this community. 

@Liz 

SFXPHIL wrote:

Slow speed ! How about no speed ! For the past 3 months i have been unable to access the internet between the hours of 4pm and 10pm East Coast Time and yet they just raised the price of the service by $30 ?

maratsade

• God bless your heart, your post is complete nonsense. 
  • Judge Judy, really? 
  • If you have grievances you would like to air out, have someone read the subscriber agreement to you so you can learn how to do so via binding arbitration, as walking into court would get you pretty much laughed at.  
  • Given that speeds and performance are not guaranteed, recording speeds of under 25 Mbps is pointless. 
  • Have someone explain their ads to you, especially the legal disclaimers.  

gw86054 wrote:

so slow the speed test timed out. my advice is just stop paying--document speeds below 25-which is everyday==go to court--judge judy will drill them.  start a you tube channel snd show their ad and then your buffering

GabeU

@gw86054 wrote:

And make sure to also show the part of the ad that says, "Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed."

Or the OP could simply go through the proper procedure to get help. 

Don't pay, eh?  Interesting advice.  You evidently forget about a little thing called credit and the reports on such that follow you throughout your life.  A collections ding on those reports does wonders for that credit.

Welcome to Hughesnet. Words like S-L-O-W, unreliable and intermittent barely begin to describe it. And don’t forget expensive. Laws of physics account for the some of the issues—horrid lag, insufficient bandwidth (especially in prime time or during widely watched events—e.g., Sunday football), natural events like rain that interfere with receiver or just overcast that slows the system even more. But when you’re somewhere that has no better service available, as my wife says, “It’s country living. Get used to it.”
maratsade

Satellite internet has limited bandwidth, and if everyone wants to watch football, or stream a show, the limited bandwith goes fast and things get slow. Limited bandwidth accounts for issues during prime time because everyone is taxing the limited system.

The laws of physics are responsible for the latency, not the bandwidth. 

Do you have any alternatives that you could go with? Depending on where you live, you may have wifi provided by phone companies.

Jabbits wrote:
Welcome to Hughesnet. Words like S-L-O-W, unreliable and intermittent barely begin to describe it. And don’t forget expensive. Laws of physics account for the some of the issues—horrid lag, insufficient bandwidth (especially in prime time or during widely watched events—e.g., Sunday football), natural events like rain that interfere with receiver or just overcast that slows the system even more. But when you’re somewhere that has no better service available, as my wife says, “It’s country living. Get used to it.”

Are you Mr. Hughes?

GabeU

@armwva wrote:

Are you Mr. Hughes?

There is no "Mr. Hughes".  

Howard's been dead for years.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

He faked his own death. 

DebiS
Sophomore

Where you able to cancel or was the speed issue resolve? Wanting to know because I was told I could cancel within 30 days. So far I have never received good download speeds during daylight hours - lots of data left. After spending a couple hours in chat and on the phone nothing improved. I have great in the middle of the night download speeds - so I am assuming there are too many customers using the same beam. Which means the support staff can not solve the problem.
GabeU

@DebiS 

There is no 30 day cancellation period.  The 24 month commitment is in effect the minute your service goes live.  If you were told during the sales call that you have a 30 day cancellation period and you wish to do so, you should start a new topic in the "My Account and Billing" section and request a sales call review so that they can determine whether this is the case.  Without doing this you'll have no recourse and there will be an Early Termination Fee if you go to cancel your service. 

If you would like to troubleshoot the speed issue, I suggest contacting Remy at the link he gave and provide him the information requested to move forward.

No, I didn't try to cancel. I wasn't told that I could cancel within 30 days. I'm not even there now. It (Hughes service) is at a summer home up north. I won't be using it until next summer. Maybe by then the service will have improved. I use it mainly for television. The internet part works fairly well for my needs as in email, shopping and banking. The TV though is really slow and I used up my 20 in 5 days. Guess I'm stuck. But, I only use it for about 4 months a year. I'll just chalk it up to having expensive internet.

maratsade

If you only use it 4 months per year, you could suspend it for a few months and save money:  

https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/account_billing/what-seasonal-suspension

armwva wrote:

But, I only use it for about 4 months a year. 

I can't suspend untill my 90 days are up (Dec 2)  But I was told I could suspend for as much as 9 months. Reading from the link you sent, I can only suspend for 6 months. I was told that by the guy from Frontier who put me onto Hughes, and then again by the Hughes agent on the phone that I could suspend for 9 months. But I do see it in writing, so again, will have to live with what I signed up for. I'll tough it out and change when possible if it's not satisfactory at the time. No use causing stress over something I probably can't control. Too old for that.