Distinguished Professor IV

The Community's back up!

Woo hoo!!!!  

I was having HughesNet Support Community withdrawal.  😛 

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade

It's because we're volunteers. If we were staff, the post would be:

Oh, man, the site's back up!  And I was having such a nice break from the HN support community!

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

It would have nice if they told the other support folks.

Must've been a bad update. A 500 series error generally means a configuration problem with the web server.

As far as notifying us, isn't that a chicken/egg problem? If the means to notify us isn't working, then there's no way to notify us that it's broken... you just try to log in and see the obvious for yourself.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I was getting a 403 error. 

maratsade

I wonder if Reggie meant they should have notified other support services, such as phone and/or chat reps?

But yes, it was easy to see there was an error just by trying to login. It was only the community that was down; I could access everything else. 

A system status page would've been nice to have, with something like, "we're experiencing login errors for the HN community. We're reported this to our provider and are waiting for them to fix the issue."

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

@maratsade wrote:

I wonder if Reggie meant they should have notified other support services, such as phone and/or chat reps?

But yes, it was easy to see there was an error just by trying to login. It was only the community that was down; I could access everything else. 

A system status page would've been nice to have, with something like, "we're experiencing login errors for the HN community. We're reported this to our provider and are waiting for them to fix the issue."

That is what I meant. The problem I had is I did some updates on my laptop. When I called support they said it was my network. I asked if they could contact the mods on this site to see if there was a problem. The response was no, there is nothing wrong with the site. I spent 6 hours trying to figure out what I did wrong.

It is all good now.

maratsade

The phone agents probably can't or don't want to invest the time to try the login to see if they see the problem. The community was visible, so if they checked the URL they would've seen they could see posts and assumed there was no problem. 

Were you able to access your account?  I could login to everything on this site except the community.   

A system status page could also include a "report a problem" form....

Reggie wrote:

That is what I meant. The problem I had is I did some updates on my laptop. When I called support they said it was my network. I asked if they could contact the mods on this site to see if there was a problem. The response was no, there is nothing wrong with the site. I spent 6 hours trying to figure out what I did wrong.

It is all good now.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Yes, I could login. The errors I was getting were 403 & 500.

I was beginning to wonder if I posted something that got me suspended.

maratsade

Yep, I can see why you'd think that, especially with the 403 error ("forbidden"). 

Reggie wrote:

Yes, I could login. The errors I was getting were 403 & 500.

I was beginning to wonder if I posted something that got me suspended.