What a beast!

-Jay

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Winter Computer Cleaning Anyone?

"Beast" is right!

Highlighted

Since spring is almost here and we may get warmer weather soon, I've been wanting to take my rig outside and do something like this...

dusty.gif

I don't expect my PC to be THAT bad, but I definitely don't want to dust it inside. 

But I'm recalling something a former boss insisted: vacuum! Don't use compressed air! His logic was that the compressed air would push the dust further into the crevices. What do you think? I get it, but I'm skeptical. 

Also I already have an electric compressed air gun that's fun to use. XD

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

I don't think the compressed air would push the dust into the crevices; not if the cleaning is thorough.  

You could try sandblasting the machine for a super clean result. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Vacuum is a great idea, till you realize that the hose is plastic, and even clean air traveling at a high speed can generate static, then zap goes a $750 graphics card when the wand is a little too close.

Outside dusting = good enough, crevices don't really matter much, it's the overall airflow.  If there's a tight spot, use a small brush to help lift the dust, then blast it with canned air

Highlighted

Woah, I did not even consider static electricity. Thanks for the tip, @C0RR0SIVE!

-Liz

Vacuum is a great idea, till you realize that the hose is plastic, and even clean air traveling at a high speed can generate static, then zap goes a $750 graphics card when the wand is a little too close.

Outside dusting = good enough, crevices don't really matter much, it's the overall airflow.  If there's a tight spot, use a small brush to help lift the dust, then blast it with canned air

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

MacBooks have a metal case and are fairly resistant to static electricity. That's a good thing because my running socks cause all sorts of static on carpet. I'm constantly zapping something.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.