Worst service ever!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Unhappy4
New Poster

Worst service ever!!!

I was just told that I used 40% of my service in one day with 2 things running. Service in itself is terrible. I can't watch anything do to slow or no internet service. Hughesnet company are a bunch of crooks screwing over thier customers. I think it is time to spread the word and stop other people from using this crappy internet service. I also suggest we all should be calling the better business bearu. 

14 REPLIES 14
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Hughesnet sells you a data package; how the data is used is under your control, not theirs.  Something or someone connected to your network is using the data. Maybe you should install a monitor (such as Glasswire) to see what's using the data.  Streaming can use a lot of data, sometimes more than 1GB per hour. Even if the file is buffering, data is still being used 

Not sure what you think you'll get from calling the agency, as it is not a government agency and all it does is serve as a middleman between customers and companies. It has no other authority whatsoever. 

You also have the option to cancel the service at any time if it doesn't work for you. Maybe another company would work better for you. 

Unhappy4 wrote:

I was just told that I used 40% of my service in one day with 2 things running. Service in itself is terrible. I can't watch anything do to slow or no internet service. Hughesnet company are a bunch of crooks screwing over thier customers. I think it is time to spread the word and stop other people from using this crappy internet service. I also suggest we all should be calling the better business bearu. 

They want $400 to end my contract for a service I am not getting. You must be rich and think $400 is easy to throw away so good for you rich man! I don't!!!!

maratsade

You're correct, the ETF is $400 if you break the contract during the first 3 months of service. After that, it goes down by $15 every month.   

You say you'd be throwing away this money, but have you thought that  you'd be throwing away considerably more than that if you remained with a service that doesn't work for you?

You could stick around, post your case under Tech Support, and see if you can get a better experience ny working with the people in this community.  You may have to adjust your expectations, though, to the reality of satellite internet. 

Unhappy4 wrote:

They want $400 to end my contract for a service I am not getting. You must be rich and think $400 is easy to throw away so good for you rich man! I don't!!!!

I am experiencing the exact problem!  

Unhappy4 wrote:

maratsade

Mimi, HughesNet sells you a data package but they don't use the data for you; that's not under their control.  You can definitely find out what's using your data by installing data trackers like the free Glasswire (available for Windows and Android).  Give it a try if you can. 

GabeU

@Mimi1 

In addition to the Glasswire mentioned by maratsade, many devices have built in data usage monitoring apps/programs.  This is especially important for those devices that can't utilize Glasswire.  

Also, in case it may help, you can see your currently connected and disconnected devices on this modem page.  The "disconnected" devices are those that were connected, but are no longer, since the last time the modem was plugged in/powered.  When the modem is unplugged or loses power, the logs are erased.  This information can be helpful when there are devices connected, and still using data, that may have been forgotten about.

GabeU

@Unhappy4 

You and your devices using 40% of your data in one day without you being aware of that fact doesn't make HughesNet "a bunch of crooks screwing over their customers" any more than it does Exxon when someone buys a tank's worth of their gas, burns through half of it on a Sunday drive, and doesn't have enough to last through the rest of the week.  Instead of blaming the provider for something you and/or your devices did it would behoove you to start learning about when, how and how much data is used for each manual and automatic activity that you and your devices perform.   

The following two threads may help in that endeavor.

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

Did I mention they installed a device that was broken and I can't get more than 5 minutes of internet before it freezes. I had 2 devices going, one a phone and the other my tv. you obviously think that is ok but I don't and have complained a few times and get broken promises.  One can call themselves a professor but it doesn't mean you are one!

GabeU

@Unhappy4 wrote:

Did I mention they installed a device that was broken and I can't get more than 5 minutes of internet before it freezes. I had 2 devices going, one a phone and the other my tv. you obviously think that is ok but I don't 

Buffering during streaming does not mean anything is "broken". 

@Unhappy4 wrote:

and have complained a few times and get broken promises.   

You could always use this SUPPORT COMMUNITY for its intended purpose, which is SUPPORT, rather than making bombastic claims and complaining.

I agree with you and know many who do as well. These idiots saying that its not are fools and probably bots they put here to shame people who don't like their service. I was a fool for believing their BS claims from the start. Fool me once shame on you, but you won't fool me twice. At the end of this foolish contract and all the wasted money I am out of here and have sent a claim to the Better Business as well. Good riddance HughesNet liars.
maratsade

The Better Business Bureau is not a government agency, and companies who voluntarily join this commerce association have no obligation to resolve or even address your claims, especially if they're unreasonable.  

As for being a fool, only you can know that. Maybe you should have read the scads of information available on the HN website, and read the subscriber agreement as well, so you would have known the limitations of the service before subscribing. 

If you don't like the service, you can always unsubscribe; you're not being held at gunpoint.   Do the math; getting out of the contract might be cheaper for you than continuing to give money to a company you don't care for. 

Ok bot man you have a great day!
maratsade

You too, darling. 

@Edbeardmore 

@Edbeardmore wrote:
I agree with you and know many who do as well. These idiots saying that its not are fools and probably bots they put here to shame people who don't like their service. I was a fool for believing their BS claims from the start. Fool me once shame on you, but you won't fool me twice. At the end of this foolish contract and all the wasted money I am out of here and have sent a claim to the Better Business as well. Good riddance HughesNet liars.

I know exactly what you mean, these new models that go on about their "tensor units" and their "teraflops" are making a fool of me all the time. Just the other day, one of these slick talking bots dropped the comment "you know what they say about vacuum tubes...." -- sure, in my day we didn't have FPUs, but we were able to make do with integers.

Since the remains of a hurricane blew through two weeks ago, I have been getting signal drop out at times, and so I made a post describing the issue a few days ago in the "Tech Support" section and they sent a technician out yesterday. I had a loose wire on the dish where the screw part had come partly undone and the seal ring was dropped down hanging on the wire which let water in.  The tech saw it right away and changed out the wire and tightened things up. So far it seems the signal dropout has stopped because it has not happened since so I am hoping for the best.

So if you are experiencing a problem or malfunction, even if it is something minor like a loose screw, I would recommend trying for some assistance like I did.