Hughesnet Community

A contract should be a "two-way" street. Hughesnet does not deliver what it promises.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Soxie
New Poster

A contract should be a "two-way" street. Hughesnet does not deliver what it promises.

I am a new Hughesnet subscriber and I am distraught over the poor quality of the service.  My plan calls for a 3-5 mg upload, which isn't much; but consistently, I am able to receive only .40 or less.  Yes, that's .40.  I teach on Zoom and am going to have to refund money to my students and not offer any future classes.  I have done everything that is possible to boost my upload speed: moving my laptop to the router, turning off other equipment that might draw service while I am teaching.   I have spent hours online with customer representatives who have been unfailingly kind and patient, but I am told that because I am at the "end of the range", my service cannot be improved. 

I signed a binding two-year contract with a large cancellation fee, but I am receiving only a very small portion of what Hughesnet promised.  Yes, they do say that my upload speed MIGHT be as much as 3-5 mg.  It seems that I should be receiving more than 1/10th of this amount.  Where does the responsibility rest for a company to promise what it says it will deliver?  I would not recommend this service to anyone and am considering writing articles publicly to share my experience. Before I do this, however, I will contact the legal department of Hughesnet. That is my next step.  Perhaps there will be a satisfactory resolution. I will post again with the conclusion of my very disappointing experience with this internet provider.  

1 REPLY 1
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

>>My plan calls for a 3-5 mg upload

You mean Mbps. The HughesNet system is designed to deliver speeds of 25Mbps down and 3Mbps up. Some people get more than the 3 Mbps, but it's not a promise. If you read the subscriber agreement you will see that speeds and performance are not guaranteed. The agreement does not promise any specific speed at all and also clarifies that many things affect speeds (which is why they can't guarantee or promise specific speeds).

>>I signed a binding two-year contract with a large cancellation fee, but I am receiving only a very small portion of what Hughesnet promised.

Please specify what you believe the subscriber agreement promised you.

>>they do say that my upload speed MIGHT be as much as 3-5 mg.

Where do they say this?

>> Where does the responsibility rest for a company to promise what it says it will deliver?

What have they promised, and where? The subscriber agreement makes no such promises.

>>Before I do this, however, I will contact the legal department of Hughesnet. That is my next step.

The subscriber agreement details the procedure to file a grievance with the company. It might be to your benefit to familiarise yourself with it and to follow it. The agreement is located here: https://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree8.23.22

If you have had your account for less than 6 months and you believe the sales agent gave you misleading information, you can request a sales call review. The way this works is, after you request the sales call review, the HughesNet agents on this site will pull the call and listen to it. They can hear what the agent said and what you replied, and depending on the outcome, you may have recourse. If you feel the sales agent misrepresented something, the sales call review should be your first step. To request a sales call review, go to the myAccount and Billing section, create a new post, request a sales call review, and explain why.