Gen5 - Equipment Lease Vs. Buy considerations

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
motobojo
Junior

Gen5 - Equipment Lease Vs. Buy considerations

Can anyone tell me where I can find more details on the costs & benefits of whether to opt for equipment leasing or equipment purchase?  I tried to find information starting at the Get Started page (https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started) and I didn't meet with much success.

I'm assuming the plan pricing information provided does not include equipment leasing costs.  Or does it?

What are your thoughts on the trade-offs of one option over the other?  My predisposition is to purchase the equipment up-front as that generally means I'll pay less for the equipment in the long run.  Does leasing afford the option of future (no-additional cost) equipment upgrades or any enhanced service for the hardware?

At a minimum I'd at least like to know the total set of costs I'll be paying. 

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
GW
Advanced Tutor

I don't know what's best and I don't have good answers for you. I always buy mine and then I pay for a service plan to cover it.

Lease fee for the Gen 5 equipment is $14.99 / month.   This will be additional charge on top of the monthly service plan you choose.  The purchase price is $349.99. 

I have been a HughesNet customer since 2008,  and I purchased my equipment.  Which saved me over $850!  I recommend the purchase option, if you plan to have the service more than 2 years.  

The only time purchase sucks is when the warranty is up...  Dead equipment = costly, plus, if you need a truck roll that's even more cost.

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

The only time purchase sucks is when the warranty is up...  Dead equipment = costly, plus, if you need a truck roll that's even more cost.

And how long is the warranty period on the Gen 5 equipment purchase?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@motobojo wrote:

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I'm not sure, but I imagine the warranty on the equipment is no greater than 24 months, and may be less.  

As for lease vs purchase, I prefer lease, as once that warranty's up on purchased equipment you're basically on your own.  Sure, $14.99 per month adds up, but one thing it buys is peace of mind, and I can handle $14.99 per month much easier than I may be able to handle an equipment repair/replace charge during any given month.

@motobojo wrote:

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I've just completed my Gen5 upgrade order.  The warranty on my equipment purchase is 2 years for equipment and 6 months for labor/technician.

@wildcats198308 wrote:

The purchase price is $349.99. 

Does that price include installation or is there an additional installation fee>  I've noticed the fine print on all recent Gen 5 offers says, "*Free standard installation applies to new Lease subscribers only. Not valid with Purchase option. Limited-time offer."

@motobojo wrote:

@wildcats198308 wrote:

The purchase price is $349.99. 

Does that price include installation or is there an additional installation fee?  I've noticed the fine print on all recent Gen 5 offers says, "*Free standard installation applies to new Lease subscribers only. Not valid with Purchase option. Limited-time offer."

I've just completed my Gen5 upgrade order.  Terms and conditions vary depending upon your circumstances. Being a customer of HughesNet since 2003 I was given a sort of VIP status/offer.  Apparently, the undiscounted equipment purchase price at this time is $449.98.  I was afforded a $100 discount which brought my price down to the level you quoted.  Any additional installation and activation fees were also waived.  Apparently the undiscounted activation fee is $99 (I don't know what the undiscounted installation fees are).