Hughesnet Community

Lifeline - Emergency Broadband Benefit - when will HughesNet be ready?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erehwontsol
Freshman

Lifeline - Emergency Broadband Benefit - when will HughesNet be ready?

In the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021, Congress appropriated $3.2 billion to the F.C.C to help low-income households pay for broadband service and connected internet devices.

The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program will provide a discount of up to $50 per month for broadband services for eligible consumers.

This morning my EBB "Lifeline" was approved ( https://www.usac.org/about/emergency-broadband-benefit-program/ ). I guess I naively thought I could come closer to paying the correct dollar amount on the worst Internet service I've ever used and afford some groceries. Yay, I was excited! I headed over to HughesNet to apply for the discount.

Granted, I know a little about the EBB program because I just set up the website and online onboarding for a small local ISP's EBB program. I know that even though it was a burden for the local ISP, they rushed to do it and have it ready by June 1. We actually had it ready prior to that. And I was told that the program could be very short-lived until the funds run out. It may or may not continue on in the future as an ongoing federal assistance program.

So the support tech at HughesNet stalled. He asked if I knew about the program. I asked where to apply. He asked if I needed more details on the program. I asked where to apply. He then told me that I would need to check back at https://www.hughes.com/EBB for when HughesNet opens the program. Because of work I was doing three weeks ago, I happen to know this website has not changed at all in those three weeks. I suspect HughesNet is going to drag their feet on this one until funds run out and they do not have to provide any assistance to their customers. I myself could really use the money for groceries.

My Internet is still very slow. When I filed a federal complaint, HughesNet lied in their reply to it, even though I have witnesses and photographic proof detailing my complaint. Pretty incredible. Overall HughesNet has provided one of the very worst consumer experiences I've ever had in my life. I feel shame sending them $90 every month. (Actually, my boyfriend now helps me pay it, since he knows how much it pains me financially and emotionally.) I suspect reading these forums that a lot of people feel the same way.

For now though, when will HughesNet open their EBB program?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Good morning erehwontsol,

Thanks for posting, you're already on the right track with keeping an eye on https://www.hughes.com/EBB

Hughes has applied to participate in the FCC’s Emergency Broadband Benefit program, and we are waiting for approvals by the USAC (the Universal Service Administrative Company). That's all the latest we have so far, we're waiting ourselves.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Liz

Good morning erehwontsol,

Thanks for posting, you're already on the right track with keeping an eye on https://www.hughes.com/EBB

Hughes has applied to participate in the FCC’s Emergency Broadband Benefit program, and we are waiting for approvals by the USAC (the Universal Service Administrative Company). That's all the latest we have so far, we're waiting ourselves.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hughes has applied to participate in the F.C.C’s Emergency Broadband Benefit program, and we are waiting for approvals by the USAC (the Universal Service Administrative Company). That's all the latest we have so far, we're waiting ourselves.

You believe that? When I just told you a tiny ISP in a town of 2000 people has been participating for two weeks? You believe that HughesNet, a very large provider, is still waiting? It took me two days to get approved. I'm not naive enough to believe that.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@erehwontsol wrote:
Hughes has applied to participate in the F.C.C’s Emergency Broadband Benefit program, and we are waiting for approvals by the USAC (the Universal Service Administrative Company). That's all the latest we have so far, we're waiting ourselves.

You believe that? When I just told you a tiny ISP in a town of 2000 people has been participating for two weeks? You believe that HughesNet, a very large provider, is still waiting? It took me two days to get approved. I'm not naive enough to believe that.

Lucky for you, you're not obligated to believe it. 

It's more useful to me read between the lines of your cryptic reply, than to read it at face value. Aha, I see what you're saying.

A quick Google search shows that Frontier and Comcast are both also already offering the program. HughesNet clearly isn't being forthcoming here, is having you lie for them, and will continue to shaft customers every chance they get.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Are you still in Nevada, and do you have any other alternatives you could consider?

If I had alternatives, do you think I'd be with HughesNet? haha. As soon as Starlink is shipping antennas you bet your bottom dollar I'm paying to sever with HughesNet, but until then I'm going to keep trying to bring attention to the fact that HughesNet lies to get out of every single pickle the get caught in.