Hughesnet Community

Residential Plan - not compatible for streaming ANYTHING

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daverm

Residential Plan - not compatible for streaming ANYTHING

I signed up for the lowest data package under the residential plan. No one told me about the severe restrictions associated with the residential service (security cameras are not compatible for instance). After having the service for close to 5 months, with terrible performance (prior to security system installation) I am forced to go to the Business plan (cost unknown). The upside, the $400 cancellation fee was waived.

I think they should remove the false TV ads about how fast the service is for folks that live in rural areas. C'mon....we know it not to be at all true.

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@daverm wrote:

I think they should remove the false TV ads about how fast the service is for folks that live in rural areas. C'mon....we know it not to be at all true.

Works fine here, as it does for many others.   As well, people use security cameras with HughesNet.  

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

Works fine here, as it does for many others.   As well, people use security cameras with HughesNet.  

Ditto here, works fine.

Often the people whining here have some things in common, one of them being they didn't do the research before subscribing, so they don't understand the system, how it works, and its limitations. When their unrealistic expectations are not met, they throw tantrums and blame everyone but themselves for what's clearly their own fault. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

one of them being they didn't do the research before subscribing, so they don't understand the system, how it works, and its limitations.  

That's a problem often seen with products and services.  Research goes no further than the product or service's sales people, which is a big mistake.  And, to be honest, I'm surprised that it still goes on, though I can somewhat understand it with younger people as they may not have the experience to know that further research should be done, and especially so with a product or service that comes with a contract, which should also be read and understood before signing on the dotted line, so to speak.   

I've seen too many "I didn't know that" posts regarding products and services of all kinds, including HughesNet.   

Knowing what you're buying and/or signing up for is very important, and no one should blindly walk into a contract.

maratsade

"I think they should remove the false TV ads about how fast the service is for folks that live in rural areas. C'mon....we know it not to be at all true."

Just because it didn't live up to your expectations doesn't mean it's false advertising.   

"No one told me about the severe restrictions associated with the residential service"

It's a pretty lame consumer who doesn't do research before buying something, and blaming others for your own failings doesn't make you look look like better. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Cloud based cameras work fine like my Nest ones. One basic fact no matter what cameras, on any plan with limited data you are going to eat a lot of it viewing video remotely if doing it for long periods.

And no, residential plans do not have static IP addresses. Something easily researched about satellite Internet.