cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously looking at Excede

Freshman

Seriously looking at Excede

When Gen5 plans were announced, I thought they were still pretty stingy with their data allowance.  And now that Excede is starting to offer 150g plans, that sounds a lot better.

Plus the fact that I'm still pretty miffed at the horrible service I got when they misaligned the dish. (Three seperate no-shows from the tech was it?)  So I am looking for any reason to dump HughesNet.

They say in about three years or so, tech is moving to low-orbit satellites (probably not ready for widespread use for 8-10), so we have that to look forward to.  Smiley Happy

But yeah, HughesNet really needs to re-evaluate their plans.  If (and that is admittedly a pretty big "if") Excede opens up 150g in my area, I am so going over to them!

7 REPLIES
Adjunct Instructor

Re: Seriously looking at Excede

Nowhere on their site do they offer 150GB. Perhaps you saw their 'unlimited' up to 25Mbps plan for $150/mo.

And if you read their description of 'unlimited' it really means they can drop the speed to 1-5 Mbps at any time.

Teaching Assistant

And if you read through their forum many are suffering with slow speed. Offering 150 GB at "guaranteed" high speed is something that will never happen. Even cable doesn't guarantee speed.

Adjunct Instructor

One more item... LEOs only provide faster latencies of around 25ms. The 1Gbps estimated for a SpaceX bird is the rate for an entire beam equivalent. That ultimately gets split up amongst users.

Assistant Professor

Hughesnet isn't going to offer what they can't support.  Larger plans means more people trying to stream, which means the system slows to a crawl for every person utilizing it.  The infrastructure must be in place to support larger plans before they can offer them.

Trying to throw 50,000 cars per hour down a road that can only handle 10,000 doesn't tend to work very well.

And while everyone certainly has the right to do as they wish, and I commend you for doing your homework, keep the old saying "The grass isn't always greener" in mind, as sometimes, when you get there, you find that it was only painted.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

MarkJFine wrote:

Nowhere on their site do they offer 150GB.

To quote their site: "On unlimited data plans, after 150GB of data usage..."

That is certainly far more generous than HughesNet's stingy 50g plan.

MarkJFine wrote:

And if you read their description of 'unlimited' it really means they can drop the speed to 1-5 Mbps at any time.

If I read their description correctly, they can drop it after you exceed 150g, not "at any time."

Highlighted
Freshman

BirdDog wrote:

And if you read through their forum many are suffering with slow speed. Offering 150 GB at "guaranteed" high speed is something that will never happen.

I generally read the same thing on HughesNet forums.  My take on it is that, like HughesNet, they oversell their beams.

I don't stream movies except on YouTube, so I don't need the blazing fast speeds.

Freshman

MarkJFine wrote:

One more item... LEOs only provide faster latencies of around 25ms. The 1Gbps estimated for a SpaceX bird is the rate for an entire beam equivalent. That ultimately gets split up amongst users.

They offer latencies of 25ms, not 25ms less.  That is orders less than 600-800ms latency HughesNet or Excede offers.

And sure, every satellite's overall throughput gets split up between its users.  HughesNet does that as well.  I believe the plan is to have a whole bunch of LEO satellites as opposed to just two or three like the big satellite internet providers currently have.

I can't even begin to imagine what the cost of that must be.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/low-latency-satellite-broadband-gets-approval...