Throttle Speeds Recently Dropped

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sepmeier
Sophomore

Throttle Speeds Recently Dropped

Beam 42 dropped its throttle speed at noon on 1/20 MST to 30 KBPS and it’s not been over 50 kbps since. (Or at least MY connection to Hughes on 42 went totally south then.) I personally offered 56 kbps DIAL UP to my customers in Kampala Uganda vi satellite in 1995, without TCP acceleration (which we hadn’t invented then).

Hughesnet support - can you look into this? We can live with 1-3 mbps throttled - we have been for a year - because 50GB just doesn’t work for a home with now-online middle schoolers - but 30kbps is shameful.

If it’s a beam congestion issue - well, no. I watched it drop and it’s not recovering at any point day or night - and high speed (I upgraded again after using tokens) is unaffected.

I’d like to get the throttle speeds back that I saw routinely prior to this and that you advertise - “1-3mbps” - if possible. Please? Thank you.

21 REPLIES 21
Remy

sepmeier,

Thanks for reaching out! From what I'm seeing, you currently have plenty of data on the account, with about 46 of your monthly 50GB remaining. Your data resets every month on the 12th, so it doesn't seem that your speeds were throttled due to lack of data on the 20th. Is this issue ongoing on a different HughesNet account? In addition, as it is with normal bandwidth, your speeds are split up amongst devices, which could cause the throttle speed for one device to appear lower than it would be otherwise.

Thanks,

Remy

We had a 50GB plan for a year and when school went online, started running out of high speed data regularly but found er could live with the data throttle of 1-3 mbps until it refreshed. A couple of months ago I added voip since the Qos on cell phone wifi calling was obviously set very low priority and nobody could understand a word. At that time I changed to a 10GB plan with thr voip (budget tight). That worked until 1/20/21 when throttle speed dropped to <50kbps. Really useless. So, I reset to a 50GB plan again - which is what you’re seeing now. I can really afford the 50GB and the voip but with school, the 30-50 KB throttle speed made use impossible, so I had no choice.

We won’t make it 30 days at 50GB cap and I throttle back is really worse than dial up I’m not sure how to continue. Half of my daughters curriculum is video lecture and assigned video to watch and report on (Edgenuity). At 1-3mbps it worked. We’ve got to get it back to those advertised speeds.

It was as I said quite workable - but something changed. I wasn’t congestion since when I bought tokens performance was not showing congestion. It’s a throttle setting.

What I’m asking is / somebody get us back to our throttle at 1-3mbps. Please. Without this speed - which is slow but st least T1-E1 speed - we can use the internet. This dial up with 1.5-4 sec latency, 500msec jitter at 30Kbps - it’s equivalent to no service. My daughter can’t even stay logged in.

sepmeier,

While we have no way to determine at this point what your throttle speeds would be, we can definitely look into it once your monthly high-speed data is depleted. The throttle speeds fluctuating are normally due to congestion, and there isn't normally much that is changeable, but once the time comes we can see what we can do. We apologize for the inconveniences, and I hope we can get this resolved and back to the normal 1-3mbps when throttled. 

Thanks,

Remy

I understand if it’s a congestion issue - with the increase of home office work it’s got to be a pain for satellite operators. I was doing this internationally in 1995 and do understand the bandwidth and complexity of Ka operations.

It’s BAD, though. It did start on the 20th at noon. Even in plan speeds are lower during the day now - 3-5 mb from sites other than speedtest sites are routine (it’s easy to time the download speed of files known files. Perhaps a new school or business user was added on beam 42 that day.

Anything you can do to balance the traffic would be appreciated! I know Charlie Ergin from my days in satellite and the value he places on “optimal cash flow” but over subscription in the face of Elon’s Starlink roll out won’t help him there!🤣

Thanks again for your help!

If anything the situation has migrated into the high speed plan. Other than at the various “speed test” sites - which are slower than a few months ago - I’m measuring no more than 1.7mbps downloads of known sized files from various locations online. This is high speed plan active. I’m about out of that again due to my daughter’s COVID required online school and my use - so when it chokes I guess I’ll have to go to town and let her poach WiFi - if it’s down to 30kbps again.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@sepmeier 

It might help to run a few speed tests at testmy.net to demonstrate what you're seeing.  Though it's not really the typical speed issue situation due to it being during the throttle period, I'd still follow the regular instructions, which are...

------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Here’s the first run on high speed data plan active - https://testmy.net/quickstats/DCPOWER As you can see my high speeds look like throttled speeds. I’m running another now and will post it in 24 hours When the high speed plan runs out I’ll post that / IF I can even run them at the throttle speed. I’m actually ok with 2mbps - it’s too expensive - and the high speed marketing and data caps are silly at this point except that the throttle basically is no service so we have to buy expensive tokens. Why not just sell unlimited data at 2mbps and quit pretending users will get faster actual throughput? Beam 42 clients don’t.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@sepmeier 

The tests need to be run with a single LAN cable connected device and the WiFi in the HT2000W modem disabled.  Do you have the ability to run the tests this way?  

If not, you may want to hold off on the testing to see whether the reps will find results from tests run via WiFi suitable.

sepmeier,

As Gabe stated, it'd be best for the test to be ran via LAN. If that's a possibility, please run some tests that way, and let us know what the results are! On our end, it seems the modem itself is producing adequate speeds in the high 20's in terms of mbps. We'd like to see if a direct connection produces better speeds, so we can troubleshoot further.

Thanks,

Remy

Gentlemen, I’ve continued the tests per procedure. In plan speeds are still 2 mbps down to 326kbps this morning. Here’s the link. I’m sending one that seems to work when I am logged out since you had trouble with the link that conformed to the directions (from the email sent by test my dot net. https://testmy.net/quickstats/DCPOWER?_fromLogout=1 Here’s the latest email. I'm sharing my test results from the TMN speed test. Visit https://testmy.net/quickstats/DCPOWER to query my stats. Go to https://testmy.net to test your connection and compare. Shared Test Details: My results are at https://testmy.net/quickstats/DCPOWER - DCPOWER sent this with an email share form on TestMy.net.

sepmeier,

Thank you very much for the updated tests! I'm going to go ahead and escalate this up to our engineering team to see if they have any fixes that they can find. I'll keep you updated with the findings! In case a call needs to be made, please send me your phone number and the best time to reach you at this link!

Thanks,

Remy

I’m now continuing tests via lan port do the results on that link will continue to update Most recent download is 185.69 kbps. Upload was 73 kbps. Kb! Not Mb. I can’t attach screen shots but the file should reflect this. Thanks for your help. This has to be addressed - obviously.

85.69 kbps now. 1.3mbps upload. Plan still active for High Speed!

:::.. Internet Speed Test Result Details ..::: Download Connection Speed:: 2255.56 kbps or 2.3 Mbps Download Speed Test Size:: 1.9 MB or 1925 kB or 1970976 bytes Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 282 kB/s Upload Connection Speed:: 2562 kbps or 2.6 Mbps Upload Speed Test Size:: 2 MB or 2048 kB or 2097152 bytes Upload Binary File Transfer Speed:: 320 kB/s Timed:: Download: 6.991 seconds | Upload: 6.55 seconds Tested At:: https://TestMy.net Test Time:: 2021-02-04 09:30:21 Local Time Client Location:: Meeker, CO US https://testmy.net/city/meeker_co Target:: Dallas, TX https://testmy.net/multithread Validation:: https://testmy.net/db/YDQWWkfHn.daHTS_fJu Client Stats:: https://testmy.net/quickstats/DCPOWER https://testmy.net/compID/6002743522700

sepmeier,

Thank you for the additional speed tests! I'll have these noted and passed along!

Thanks,

Remy

Thanks, Remy. I’m still on the high speed plan - just to confirm these aren’t throttled speeds. Yet. We will be out of high speed by tomorrow. Also, the sat modem appeared to receive an extended inquiry or software update last night around 10pm MST ... just FYI.

Remy, We ran out of high speed plan and tokens today and the throttle is in effect - and it appears the software download that came in the other night has worked. We’re getting the usual 1-3mbps instead of the dial up speeds that started this thread. Whatever you guys did, thanks. 😉

sepmeier,

That's great to hear! I'm glad the throttled speeds seem to be adequate. Did you receive a call from our engineering team?

Thanks,

Remy

Remy, I didn’t get a call - I just noted a satellite down line load of software last week and when the high speed plan and tokens ran out the throttle was back to the levels it always had been - slow, but usable for Edgenuity school, and not the 30kbps we had been plagued with. Test my dot net shows about 300kbps - the other Speedtest sites show about 3mbps - I’m pretty sure your site is more accurate with regards to TCP speeds whereas the others are UDP based, which eliminates the round trip packet ack choke. At any rate - we can use the service again - which with the covid online situation with the school is the most important thing. Having to drive an hour to poach the WiFi at the library wasn’t a cutting it 🤣 Thanks again for your attention to this. Bill

sepmeier,

Of course! I'll have your account and case continued to be monitored, please let us know if you have any more issues!

Thanks,

Remy