AOL blocks delivery from hughesnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterM
New Poster

AOL blocks delivery from hughesnet

I read similiar topic but problem is not with the recipient filter.  I have 5 aol folks on email list and they are all (temporarily?) blocked.  Error code 554 RLY:B1 means AOL has a dynamic block based on a "complaint threshold" that they supposedly remove after 24hrs.  This seems like a rolling block by AOL server and I've been able to send email to recipients after a few days.  AOL seems to have a way to validate the senders server as trusted.  I know that this is an AOL problem, but could you somehow git hughesnet off of their sh** list?  I've spent way too much time trying to resolve this issue.  Any help is appreciated. Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What may be happening is this:

Hughesnet has many users sharing the same IP address ... hundreds of users. If one of those users has an issue ... virus/malware or is just an outright spammer they may trigger a 'block' being set in place by AOL in this case, but instead of blocking by email address they block by IP address. That being the case, instead of blocking the one offender they instead block everyone sharing that Hughes IP.

In some cases the block may only be in effect for a set period of time, in other cases it is a persistant block that needs to be handled between the two parties .... Hughes and AOL in the instance.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jcollison251
Sophomore

You are sending mass emails to your email lists using a satellite connection?  Am I reading that right?  That seems a bit hillbilly to me.

A shared server with unlimited bandwidth costs $5-10/mo.  Or if you insist on doing things the hillbilly way without an actual server, you can get yourself 5 SOCKS proxies for about $5/month. 

Yeah, it's an additional expense, but businesses do have expenses once in a while.  Plus you've said that you've already wasted a lot of time on this, so what's your time worth to you?  You need an IP that you alone are responsible for and have control over, rather than having to go begging to some random ISPs every time issues like this come up.  Trust me, you don't want to continue down this route.  I say that as a programmer who has worked for mass "marketers" (that's the polite term) for 20 years.

By the way, I have used AOL mail for a long time (since they bought out Netscape) and I do miss _tons_ of emails.  Always have.  From reputable big banks, I might add.  There is little you can do as an AOL "customer" except get a real email account.  It's on my todo list.

@jcollison251 wrote:

You are sending mass emails to your email lists using a satellite connection?  Am I reading that right?  That seems a bit hillbilly to me.

This is not mass mailing.  It's a 30 person list for an organization and I've exchanged emails with participants frequently  in the past.  AOL emails are blocked periodically by AOL - see my comment on "dynamic block" - it's their error code.   Please read my description.  If anything is "hillbilly" it's AOL.

Hello,

Engineers this morning mentioned they discovered an issue with e-mails last week and it should be resolved now. Can you confirm if you can send email now? 

~Amanda

Just like magic, I was able to send email to the 5 AOL addresses last evening.  Since the "dynamic block" has occured before, I'd be interested to know what happened and what I can do in the future if this happens.  AOLs error code (above) describes the block at their server.  I don't think that this only effected me.  Thanks. - Peter

Not Solved.  I did have some success after your comment about "technicians found problem", but the AOL block occured again today.  Keep in mind - this is not mass mailing, I've exchanged email with the recipients before, and the mail doesn't get to them - it's blocked at the AOL server. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What may be happening is this:

Hughesnet has many users sharing the same IP address ... hundreds of users. If one of those users has an issue ... virus/malware or is just an outright spammer they may trigger a 'block' being set in place by AOL in this case, but instead of blocking by email address they block by IP address. That being the case, instead of blocking the one offender they instead block everyone sharing that Hughes IP.

In some cases the block may only be in effect for a set period of time, in other cases it is a persistant block that needs to be handled between the two parties .... Hughes and AOL in the instance.

L2harris

Hi yes, thank you for your post. But this does not resolve the problem.   Because Hughes uses  dynamic IP address the hughenet user cannot submit a trouble ticket on AOL to un-block your particular e-mail, as you know the e-mails are randomly packeted and sent on dynamic ip adresses.  This is NOT resolved. Not until Hughes provides it's users with a static ip address will AOL un-block your personal  e-mail address.  The only way to send messages to your friends that have AOL is to resend after 24 hours of the block and hope and pray for a packet of address that is free and clean of spam.     

So how does and when doe this REALLY get resolved?  Answer: ?????

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@L2harris wrote:

So how does and when doe this REALLY get resolved?  Answer: ?????

When the average user learns best practices in regards to computer and account security so that they don't get an infection and trip anti-spam measures?
When AOL learns that an IP doesn't actually identify anyone and is stupid to block based upon that?
Alternatively, use a third party email service such as Gmail, MSN/Live/Outlook, AOL, Yahoo, and so on instead of an ISP supplied email?

So, is this resolved or is it not?  I'm guessing not.  Is Hughes doing anything?

There is a way for hughesnet to get the offending IP address on AOLs trusted list (I tried to do this on AOLs site but couldn't provide the outgoing IP address - no way of knowing).  If this is "solved", the answer is to use gmail instead when your huesnet email is blocked!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If it was that simple for any small company (lets face it, Hughes is small on the consumer market side of things) to get on a whitelist, then much larger data centers (think, DPS/VPS providers and similar) could get on as well, which doesn't usually happen.