Bad service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ruralinthehills
Freshman

Bad service

We have been experiencing complete outages but they only lasted a few minutes. Now we have had our internet slowed down to almost completely unuseable rates. I spent time with tech support and all they were trained to do is sell me more data. If there is a hardware problem, why can’t they just admit it. This is causing me to consider Starlink who is having rave reviews.  I have been a long time customer so it is sad that loyalty means nothing in todays world.

24 REPLIES 24

Thank you Gabe for explaining Bonus zone!  I was trying to deposit a check to my bank at 730am but that was central time.  Maybe those hours you explained for bonus zone are eastern standard time.  I was not able to deposit so had to go to an area where my cellular plan works.

Unless HughesNet has changed a policy on my account, none of this makes sense.  I was not experiencing such slow speeds before.  The only slow time was usually around 8 pm and I could no longer stream movies.  I could still do email, Facebook etc.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's based on your time zone, meaning whatever time zone you're in, it's 2AM to 8AM in that time zone.

If the speed problem persists when you still have data, I'd run some speed tests. There used to be a sticky post about speed testing, but it appears that it was removed. Luckily, I still have the macro. The testing mentions being directly connected with a LAN cable, but if you don't have that ability, try it via WiFi. Only do it if you have data though, not while you're in FAP. So if you have Bonus Zone data, you can run some during that time period, if you're up at that time. Check the state code before doing so though, to ensure you're not seeing that 24.1.1. 

----------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Thank you for the help and advice.  
My understanding was that after I used my data my system would slow down.  Not almost completely stop.  I have a VOIP phone attached because the cellular phone does not work well in the hills, even with Wi-Fi .  Even the VOIP phone did not work the other day.  I thought that by law I was supposed to be provided enough service to make emergency calls.  They are not doing that.  I ran a test the other day during a bad period and the analysis said 99% were better

than me.  I tried to post a photo of the test but because my system is so slow it rejects it.  I don’t think I should have to run speed tests daily or join an app. to show that I am below acceptable levels, if even my VOIP phone does not work.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

No level of service is guaranteed, nor is there any guarantee that there will never be any issue. There's no law that says the service has to work 100% of the time for you to be able to use VOIP service in an emergency. You might be thinking cell phones allowing you to make a 911 call even if you don't have current cell service through a company. 

The speed testing is done to both demonstrate the issue, and to help give info that can point them in the right direction of the cause. It's a part of the initial troubleshooting. 

With this said, it appears that Remy is already working with you. However, if your phone is reliant on the service, so you're not able to get the call you're expecting, I'd mention that, or even reach out to Remy via the private message he sent you.