Bandwidth problems.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ardy
New Poster

Bandwidth problems.

While watching Amazon on TV, I am getting low bandwidth and I am unable to continue watching.

My TV is connected via Wi-Fi

My service plan usage has 10%,  BUT  - bonus zone - has 99%  41.0 MB available.

Why won't the usage switch to the bonus zone and let me watch Amazon streaming video?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog wrote:

Amazon can be pretty sketchy because a lot of their video is only HD and does not adapt to the user end speed. 

If you're watching on their site, you can downgrade the video quality to "Good," which uses about 380 MB per hour. I've tested this and it works.  The app doesn't have a way to downgrade the video quality that I could see.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amazon can be pretty sketchy because a lot of their video is only HD and does not adapt to the user end speed. You can try pausing the Video Data Saver option accessible through the status meter.

Bonus Time data is only used during 2-8AM.

Be aware streaming HD is going to use a lot of data.

maratsade

@BirdDog wrote:

Amazon can be pretty sketchy because a lot of their video is only HD and does not adapt to the user end speed. 

If you're watching on their site, you can downgrade the video quality to "Good," which uses about 380 MB per hour. I've tested this and it works.  The app doesn't have a way to downgrade the video quality that I could see.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

@BirdDog wrote:

I didn't know they added that as don't watch that much Amazon streaming, nice they did. Since I usually watch casting from the app wouldn't do me any good, wonder if built in smart TV app allows it. Will have to check.

maratsade

Yeah,  I love that you can control the quality on the website. I hope they add it to the app too. I tested it on the iPad but couldn't find a setting at all, and so I streamed for a bit and saw it inhales data.  So no app for me. I've never used the apps that come with the TV, so I don't know if they have a setting to control video definition, but it'd be nice if they did, since so many people use those apps.  Nowadays I just use the HDMI cable method and connect a laptop to the TV. Works a treat. 

@BirdDog wrote:

I didn't know they added that as don't watch that much Amazon streaming, nice they did. Since I usually watch casting from the app wouldn't do me any good, wonder if built in smart TV app allows it. Will have to check.

GabeU

@Ardy

Link for info concerning the Video Data Saver.