cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bugman2112
Sophomore

Beam 66 Slow

Returning customer.

Was enticed by the promise of 25 mps speed.

My signal is strong, and I indeed recieved 25+ for the first couple months.

Now the speed is very erratic, and 15 is mostly the max, and often I get less than 5.  Sometime even less than 1.

Been on chat support, been elevated to the engineers.  Should get a call in 2-3 days they say.

WiFi and computer issues ruled out.

Is there hope?  Or is this the same issue I had 7-8 years ago? Satellite congested, slow downs during peak times to be expected?

I woul like to add that at non peak times (6am, 2am, etc), the speed shoots up very high.  Sometimes even upwards of 40.

I beleive this supports my theory of congestion rather than weather, equipment, etc..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Did get a service tech visit this weekend.  Some adjustments were made and my speeds are back to being in 20mps range almost always.

Very happy so far.  Can stream video again pretty consistently.

-BT

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Liz

Good morning Bugman2112, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I ran diagnostics on your site to double-check on the equipment, as as you noted, that still is fine. I would like to get some testmy.net speed tests so that if necessary, I can let the engineers here at corporate know.

Please create a testmy.net account and run 3 tests when you normally experience a slowdown. Post your test results link here in your thread.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you for the reply.

I am leaving town for the holiday today, but when I return early next week I will run these tests and report back.

I have used testmy.net exclusively in the past so i do how to use the site and should be easy to run.

Thanks again...

Here are three links of recent results when I was experiencing a slowdown.  I actually have had much worse, but this should show what I am seeing.  Also below are some more info...

• This was done directly connected to the router/modem.  No WiFi
  • Signal strength and all other local diagnostics show no issues.
    • Actually, I do need to correct the above statement.  I sporatically do get the below error message.  It does not alway coincide with slow speeds, but the error code does randomly.  While on live Tech support, they are aware of this code, and have showed me how to "clear MBX" on my router control panel screen.  This action does not permanently clear up that error code.  
    • 30.3.4 -- Web response time is longer than expected
  • no one else at my home is on this network.  So no one else is using this Internet source.
  • I have run this speed test at other "non-peak" times, such as early morning and middle/night.  The speed is incredibly fast and consistent at 25 to 40 MPS.  I am not an expert, but having dealt with Satellite Internet in the past, this really seems like a traffic issue.
  • I am on Day 5 of a 3-5 day call back as I was escalated to engineers last week.  I guess I should call back tomorrow if I don't here something?

https://testmy.net/db/SxN6Om4o3

Good morning Bugman2112,

Thank you for this information, this is very useful. If you don't get a call back as promised, no need to try to call. Your case is being added to our escalation list for reference. Engineering is already working to address network performance and once we have any new news we'll let you know.

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page, I'll send you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Bugman2112,

Thank you for your patience, I've PMed you an update on our progress.

Hi Bugman2112,

Thank you for your patience. An engineer will set up analysis tests on your site to run over the weekend. You'll be compensated for the data used for these tests. I'll let you know once I get an update from him.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Bugman2112
Sophomore

I received a call last week while i was at work from one of the higher level tech people.  I was caught off gaurd because its been several weeks and I havn't checked this board recently (Liz gave me a heads up that they were looking at my case, but I didnt see that).

I wasn't able to test it out becuase I was at work.  But he said he was dealing with 1000's (I think that is what he said) of tickets and that was what was taking some time.

Anyway, he said he made some tweaks, and gave me a direct number for the higher support if I still have issues.

The speed issues have gotten better.  I am almost always seeing 6-12mps during peak hours.  No where near the 25mps several months ago.  But at least I am not at <1mps.  Streaming video is still patchy, but I can do most tasks that I need.  Time will tell, I am cautiously optimistic.

Hi Bugman2112,

Thank you for this update. I haven't heard back from the engineer who said he would monitor your site over a weekend, but I'll check in with him to see if he has anything to add.

Hi Bugman2112,

Thank you for your patience while your case was investigated. Engineering got back to me with a recommendation for your site. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM with details.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Did get a service tech visit this weekend.  Some adjustments were made and my speeds are back to being in 20mps range almost always.

Very happy so far.  Can stream video again pretty consistently.

-BT

Good morning BT,

Thank you for the update, I appreciate it. Happy to hear the site visit helped! You're always welcome to post back in the community if you have other concerns, we're here to help.