Bonus Time Speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Bonus Time Speeds

It is 5:30 Am , the bonus time , I am under FAP after 8, I am under the impression, the bonus time allows me unthrottled speeds. My testmytest speeds are under 8mps. What am I missing here? I have all browser tabs closed , only testmytest open for tests . https://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

This forum also has an icon for images. It's labeled Photos. If you don't see it, try turning off any add-ons you have on your browser. Some ad-ons, especially one of the ad blockers, prevent you from seeing the icon.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
MarkJFine
Professor

8 Mbps is not 25 Mbps, but it's definitely not a throttled speed.

25 mbps is not guaranteed and depends greatly upon a lot of factors, too numerous to list here.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@ecoalex2 

Judging by the variance graphs from your tests, in that they aren't showing erratic changes, my guess would be system congestion.  Unfortunately, as time goes on and streaming becomes more prevalent, it's likely that the incidence of people downloading media during the Bonus Zone period has picked up considerably. 

That's just a guess though, as there are a lot of variables.  

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 6.21.45 PM.png  

It appears the problem then is capacity. Either Hughes will have to increase capacity ; another bird, or Musk will solve the capacity problem . Any other possible solutions?

Look, capacity is never not going to be a problem on satellite by the very nature of the beast - you have severely limited bandwidth to start with.

Demand for external servers will always be a problem, complicating the issue too. Give you an example: Over the past  day or so, Apple, Microsoft (Windows and Office), and Fedora all had major os/kernel updates. Ever try to update something from Apple or Microsoft on the first day of the release? You can't ever get it done, because you're competing with the entire globe on top of trying to compete with those also on your satellite beam, groundstation, the groundstation's provider, and so on. This is how internet works... everywhere.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

If capacity was never a problem, my Beam-19 was full on the latest satellite, the solution was to put me back on the old satellite, the tech came and re-aimed the dish back to it's original aim. Capacity was told to be the problem, where I got the thought. I had slow speeds, close to dial-up, after the re-aim, I had good speeds. They have slowed down since then. The testmytest data shows this. If that wasn't the problem what was? Why the re-aim. If congestion -capacity is not a problem, then other mods here have steered me wrong.
GabeU

"Look, capacity is never not going to be a problem on satellite by the very nature of the beast - you have severely limited bandwidth to start with."  - Mark

i.e. it's always going to be a problem.

So I can expect increasingly slower speeds. I keep seeing the Hughesnet ads, they tout speeds subscribers will get. Buying tokens also will not help then.There needs to be a proviso as in the drug ads 🙂 (may cause cancer, death )
maratsade

"So I can expect increasingly slower speeds."

Not necessarily.  Things change,  new players come on the scene, new products appear, new technological advances, etc. What you can do is go with the flow and accept reality. You'll live longer.  

"There needs to be a proviso as in the drug ads"

There is. Check the website and the subscriber agreement (both available freely on the web to everyone) for the disclaimers.  

You can also be proactive and contact your representatives in Congress. Demand that they bring other options to your area. 

I live in a canyon in a rural area. The other options are not available to me, or much more expensive. Hughes is the best deal, I tell others using their phone, or wifi services. I am happy with Hughes. From what I understand, Musk's system will cost much more. His is the only other Sat system available. I don't like the man, Gates, or Zukerberg either. The mods here have been great, I like Hughes. I am trying to find answers for my connection problem (in another thread) It appears to be better, with more Linux updates. I believe that was what caused my problem. Trying to search for a problem is a process of elimination as we know. I appreciate the efforts of the all mods here, Liz especially she's a treasure 🙂
maratsade

HughesNet is a good company, and the reps here are very helpful (they stand head and shoulders above reps from other companies). 

I think though that even in the area where you live, things will change and evolve. And you can still become active in asking your representatives to bring more broadband to the area. 

What Linux distro do you have?

I use Mint 20 . Been on Linux for 10+ years, Mint has over 70,000 apps, the OS too all free. With wine, you can use windows apps, and dual boot os , I just use Mint, Just no comparison for what I need , just the basics. The recovery act brought 2 fiber optic cable near me, then a private company-Conifer set up towers for wifi service, but my location blocks negates my ability to use it. Living in a canyon, I do have ATT cell service, but that would be expensive, plus the allowances, and throttling is also are an issue for my neighbor. They know about Hughes, and agree it would be better, but won't use them for broadband. Hughes works for me, I'm very satisfied. I remember 12mps dial-up, so I'm living large now 🙂
maratsade

I have Mint installed on one device. It's pretty cool. 

The Bonus Zone seems to sometimes follow being on FAP and gives you slow speeds, but faster than if you were on the full throttle between 8 and 2

I wish I had me some 8mbps right now, im going at 44kbps(5kB/s) which is what I used to get on dial up.

As for other alternatives and costs, that company owned by the space man is offering it at 99$ a month, but you have to buy the dish for about 500$ and install it yourself. Its a bigger up front cost, but with traditional satellite, you get locked into plans for years to pay for the installation. So it equals the same about im sure. So the biggest financial issue is getting someone to set it up for you if youre unable too

While I also love Hughes, I have greater internet needs than can be provided, and right this minute im paying 140$ a month something that runs pretty fast, or becomes Space Dial Up. Im not able to get on bloody Facebook, I can barely load Wikipedia, and dont even think about running youtube videos in 180p on DIAL UP. They really messed up not having the EchoStar XXIV built and launched in 2020-2021 like what was originally planned. Corporate let Space Man build and space-fling over 2000 little fast internet satellites, and ive seen videos of people building satellites, they wear bio-suits most of the time. The Pandemic was not an excuse for that! Awful move, I want to buy some Hughes stock so I can yell at the board about this. I feel like they just surrendered to Mars Colony Man

GabeU

@ecoalex2 wrote:
So I can expect increasingly slower speeds. I keep seeing the Hughesnet ads, they tout speeds subscribers will get. Buying tokens also will not help then.There needs to be a proviso as in the drug ads 🙂 (may cause cancer, death )

Overall, probably, but things can change, and maybe the new bird will help in the same way that the last satellite did.  New subscribers came on, of course, but some Gen4 subscribers chose to upgrade to Gen 5, and many of them were moved to the new sat.  

On a separate topic, Mint here too.  Not on a regular basis, as my main computer is a Mac, but as a hobby type thing.  I've been fiddling with the Live USB thing of 20.2 Cinnamon (Edge) and MATE with my mini PCs.

Mint LMDE is the lightweight distro great for older puters. I installed it on a lightweight older machine a few years back, it worked well with vitrual box even. I've toyed with getting a small laptop, and installing LMDE , but my curiosity has waned. I'm a Mate user, that's as simple for a full distro as far as I can tell, tried many, but settled on Mate. Keep it simple, my credo. There are lots of Mint games now, I'm not a gamer at all, but it is there. Mint is fully functional compared to Ubuntu , ready out of the box, easy peazy lemon squeey 🙂 good for me.
GabeU

@ecoalex2 

Another bird is going up next year.  How much of its capacity will be designated for the US, however, I don't know.  However, that new bird may only help lessen the impact for a time, not solve it.  And there's no other way to increase capacity.  Once a bird it is up, that's it.  Its throughput is pretty much set in stone.  

The main problem is streaming.  HughesNet was never designed to handle so many people doing something so bandwidth intensive so often.  And the more people that do so, the more congested the system becomes.  But nearly everything else we do online is becoming more bandwidth intensive, so it's not just the streaming, though that is, by far, the most impactful.

ecoalex2
Tutor

Help, I keep getting bot requests to mark this post as answered. How do I stop the bot emails? 3 so far today help!

I tried 2 browsers, I cannot make it stop. I mark accept as solution, and denied error- Authentication failed for the action you are trying to do. This failure could be due to your browser not supporting JavaScript, JavaScript not being enabled, or trying to use the action URL directly in the browser address bar instead of clicking the link on the page. Help! Help!

Help! Help! I put the url of the error message in paste and go and just got another error message. help! 🙂 🙂
maratsade

Could you post a screenshot of the error message?