Hughesnet Community

Can I control device access to the HT2000?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XavierNelson
New Poster

Can I control device access to the HT2000?

We are on the HT2000 with WIFI enabled. Before we were using a Nighthawk wifi router with the old modem. 

The old router allowed me to control who (which of the devices in our family) were allowed to access the wifi and which were not. 

Now we also have some smart appliances (like a Samsung Range) and of course everything feels the need to be connected lol, but frankly, we don't need that out here in our rural area. 

We tend to see our data allowance fly away at rapid speed every month and I want to get to the bottom of the data leak. 

I can see some of the devices connected to my HT2000 but some it is not giving me a name/description and I would like to be able to restrict those so we can determine if it truly needs to be online or not. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@XavierNelson 

You can see what is connected, and what was connected but is no longer (since the modem was last plugged in) on this modem page.  

You can limit access by Mac address to the HT2000W in the Mac Filtering Table, which is in the Advanced section of the WiFi Settings.  

With this said, if your Nighthawk router worked better for you, and you still have it, I would use it.  If you do, you should disable the WiFi in the HT2000W so as to not interfere with your Nighthawk's WiFi.  You can do so by signing into the WiFi settings through the link above (admin is the password), then uncheck "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs on the Home page (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest), clicking "Save Settings" near the bottom after doing so for each one.  They have to be done one by one.  Then click Advanced Settings on the left, then Wireless, and then uncheck the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Frequency Band boxes, then click Save Settings.   All of this ensures that the WiFi radios in the HT2000W are disabled in every way. 

With the Nighthawk, you'd just connect it to the HT2000W with a LAN cable, and then use it as you did before.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@XavierNelson 

You can see what is connected, and what was connected but is no longer (since the modem was last plugged in) on this modem page.  

You can limit access by Mac address to the HT2000W in the Mac Filtering Table, which is in the Advanced section of the WiFi Settings.  

With this said, if your Nighthawk router worked better for you, and you still have it, I would use it.  If you do, you should disable the WiFi in the HT2000W so as to not interfere with your Nighthawk's WiFi.  You can do so by signing into the WiFi settings through the link above (admin is the password), then uncheck "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs on the Home page (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest), clicking "Save Settings" near the bottom after doing so for each one.  They have to be done one by one.  Then click Advanced Settings on the left, then Wireless, and then uncheck the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Frequency Band boxes, then click Save Settings.   All of this ensures that the WiFi radios in the HT2000W are disabled in every way. 

With the Nighthawk, you'd just connect it to the HT2000W with a LAN cable, and then use it as you did before.

Thank you, some excellent tips in there, really appreciate it. 

I prefer to just run the 1 wifi instead of hooking the nighthawk back up, I noticed speeds were slower a bit when I had the NH in place before.