Can't stream due to constant buffering

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
supafly94
Freshman

Can't stream due to constant buffering

I am a new customer and since day 1 I have not been able to stream videos.  When I purchased the service my customer rep said her and her whole family steam videos constantly with no issue.   I use Hulu and Netflix on a firestick or a Roku.  If I can get a video to run without buffering the picture is so blurry I can't really see what's going on anyway?  I have the same issue if trying to watch youtube on my pc which is connected directly to my modem.  I have the video data saver turned off and am nowhere near running out of my set data limits.  The streaming actually works a little better in the mornings and early afternoons but becomes quite poor in the evening (when Im  home from work and would actually like to use my internet). Are there and settings or tricks I can try? I just want to watch a video clearly and without buffering!?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@supafly94

Have you tried streaming with a device that is connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable?  Also, have you tried lowering the definition?  Also, keep in mind that the service is divided between devices actively using the net, so if you have three devices using the net at the same time, the speed will be divided between them, though not necessarily evenly.  It all depends on the activities being done.  

It's entirely possible that the issue is due to higher congestion during the peak usage hours.  This being due to the evening being when most people are online and using the system.  If trying a device directly connected to the modem with a LAN cable doesn't make any difference, the next step will be to run a few speed tests. 

I'll post the instructions for the speed tests below, but I wanted to mention something about your data.  During your first twenty days your service is in what's known as a "relaxed bandwidth" state, meaning that your data allotment is frequently being replenished.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy.  It is to allow new customers to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting what would be their normal monthly data allotment, as doing those things can use a LOT of data, especially if the devices have not been connected in a long time.  After those twenty days the data will start being counted normally.  

Also, streaming is a very data intensive activity, and a lot of streaming, especially if it's done in HD, will use your data very quickly.  According to Netflix, HD streaming can use 3GB or more per hour.  Even if you have the largest plan, which is 50GB, that's just over 16 hours of HD streaming and your data would be used up.  And that's really only theoretical, as in if your data was solely used for streaming, which is most likely is not the case.  Everything you do online will use your data. 

Okay, the speed testing instructions.  Again, if trying with a device that's directly connected to the modem with a LAN cable doesn't make any difference, please run some speed tests using the following instructions....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).   

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU

@supafly94

Have you tried streaming with a device that is connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable?  Also, have you tried lowering the definition?  Also, keep in mind that the service is divided between devices actively using the net, so if you have three devices using the net at the same time, the speed will be divided between them, though not necessarily evenly.  It all depends on the activities being done.  

It's entirely possible that the issue is due to higher congestion during the peak usage hours.  This being due to the evening being when most people are online and using the system.  If trying a device directly connected to the modem with a LAN cable doesn't make any difference, the next step will be to run a few speed tests. 

I'll post the instructions for the speed tests below, but I wanted to mention something about your data.  During your first twenty days your service is in what's known as a "relaxed bandwidth" state, meaning that your data allotment is frequently being replenished.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy.  It is to allow new customers to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting what would be their normal monthly data allotment, as doing those things can use a LOT of data, especially if the devices have not been connected in a long time.  After those twenty days the data will start being counted normally.  

Also, streaming is a very data intensive activity, and a lot of streaming, especially if it's done in HD, will use your data very quickly.  According to Netflix, HD streaming can use 3GB or more per hour.  Even if you have the largest plan, which is 50GB, that's just over 16 hours of HD streaming and your data would be used up.  And that's really only theoretical, as in if your data was solely used for streaming, which is most likely is not the case.  Everything you do online will use your data. 

Okay, the speed testing instructions.  Again, if trying with a device that's directly connected to the modem with a LAN cable doesn't make any difference, please run some speed tests using the following instructions....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).   

maratsade

"When I purchased the service my customer rep said her and her whole family steam videos constantly with no issue.   I use Hulu and Netflix on a firestick or a Roku. "

I stream videos every so often and have had few, if any, issues. However, I notice the quality is less when I use an intermediary device such as Chromecast or firestick.  I  have had virtually no problems streaming from a laptop connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. 

If you are streaming at a time when your beam may be congested (because everyone in the region is home from work and trying to use the bandwidth at the same time), you will see buffering.  Satellite internet isn't optimal for streaming, and can provide only a limited amount of bandwidth.  It does not work like terrestial cable because the technology is different and has some limitations that are insurmountable with our current technologies. 

Well I guess thats the way it really is then.  I feel like I was lied to when purchasing this service.  I dont want to watch netflix on a laptop, thats why I have a big screen tv.  I think the sales people should probably explain that this service isnt meant for streaming and your speeds will be poor during peak hours because everyone is using it.  Unfortunately I am in a position where I dont have a choice for providers but if I did and were shopping around I would have liked to had this info before purchasing.  I also would like to point out I apparently used all my data for the month and now am in FAP mode?  I was told as a single user in my household I should have plenty of data on this plan. The funny thing is in FAP mode my internet actually works about the same at night!