Connection stutter from 7 PM to 10 PM Central time

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wade_bear
Sophomore

Connection stutter from 7 PM to 10 PM Central time

For the last couple of weeks we've had a severe connection stutter between the hours of 7 to 10 PM every night.  I keep getting kicked out of the internet games I play on my tablets and web surfing is slow to impossible.

It looks to me like we're connecting to the California downlink site and it's being overloaded.

1. Is there any way to find out which downlink site we're connected to? (The 'where am I' links I've found say we're in California)

2. Is there any way to force a switch to another downlink site?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I suppose I should update this...

It stopped doing it.  I have no idea why.  We had some bad weather here the next day after I posted and lost all connectivity so I had to restart the modem.  After that the issue stopped.

No clue what the problem was or what caused it.Robot Frustrated

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

wade_bear,

You can find out what gateway you are coming down on by looking at your IPGW...  There is no way to change what gateway you are going through though.

I think @Gwalk900 has a map and a little more information on figuring out where your gateway is located.

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

wade_bear,

You can find out what gateway you are coming down on by looking at your IPGW...  There is no way to change what gateway you are going through though.

I think @Gwalk900 has a map and a little more information on figuring out where your gateway is located.

What's an IPGW? Me no speakum network geekum.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

IPGW stands for Internet Protocol Gate Way.  You can find this under the System Status or System Information on HT1000, HT1100 and the HT2000w.

Here is a beam/gateway map for Gen4 Echostar17

Gateway Map 12 snip.png

Thanks peoples!

It looks like I'm on the Midland TX gateway (5) right now.but my Beam is 48, which is not listed in the image.

I'll just have to do some investigating the next time I'm playing/surfing during the stutter time.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@wade_bear wrote:

It looks like I'm on the Midland TX gateway (5) right now.but my Beam is 48, which is not listed in the image.

Sorry, haven't added stuff to the map in a while 😞

Beam 48 does connect through the Midland TX Gateway.

When you have issues you may wish to check the weather at your Gateway location as wll as your own.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"When you have issues you may wish to check the weather at your Gateway location as wll as your own."

This tidbit is very important, imo. I didn't use to know this, and when I was told by a helpful Hughes CSR way back when I still had Gen3,  it explained so much.  Before I knew that the weather at the gateway could have an influence on reception, a sunny day was a head scratcher. Learning is good. (And now I can just blame Salt Lake City for everything). 

I suppose I should update this...

It stopped doing it.  I have no idea why.  We had some bad weather here the next day after I posted and lost all connectivity so I had to restart the modem.  After that the issue stopped.

No clue what the problem was or what caused it.Robot Frustrated