Hughesnet Community

Connectivity with internet goes up and down, up and down! Very frustrated.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
claynaytion
Freshman

Connectivity with internet goes up and down, up and down! Very frustrated.

I just got a new replacement gen5 modem because the previous one stopped working. I figured out how to install it myself (with the directions of course). At first, it just didn't seem to want to work at all, even with the lights on, I couldn't connect to internet, it was saying "no devices connected" on the state code. The next day it changed to the transmit and recieve lights on the modem were out, so coudn't connect then. Later that day my power went out suddenly for like 5 minutes. When it came back on, all the lights were on and the modem seemed to be functioning fine, I was able to connect my phone and my laptop, along with my desktop which has the modem connected to it.

Fast forward a day or two, maybe less, the modem lets me connect to the internet whenever it wants and then gives me problems connecting for awhile, running the system test, I got either the state code message 12.1.9 A transmit problem has occurred, or (and mostly) ... well, I have to wait for it to do it again since it is cooperating kind of right now, except I do have the 12.1.9 code going on atm.

Anyway, as I was messing around with everything trying to fix it, I ran the connectivity test also. After awhile, it seemed that each time I ran the connectivity test, it would put the the state code section back to green and all's good type message. Even if the connectivity result was that I was having limited gateway connection (something like that), then it would all turn green and I could use the internet for a bit...except...for my phone and my laptop. My phone would connect to the wifi and say "connected.no internet". Every once in awhile it might let me connect for a few minutes. My laptop seems to be halfway connected, with half pages turning up on the net, then showing that page that says something like "check your internet connection" "run network troubleshooter" (again I am just paraphrasing).

Now I live on a small mountain, so my phone gets pretty crappy reception, like 1x, if I can even get that! Lots of times, depending on where I am, I have no reception. Sometimes I will just leave my phone out in the mudroom and run the hotspot just to be on the internet when the modem decides to be jerky. It brings me back to the good old days of dialup modems with the "quickness" of it. Haha! 2400 woohoo.

This is really irritating to me, and hopefully somebody here can help, because calling tech service is not convenient for me, as I can't always be sure I have all the time I need to get things done (or not done, as it sometimes happens).

In the meantime, I guess I will just keep clicking on the connectivity test to try and keep the internet connection going. In case you are wondering, I have rebooted the modem, I have unplugged the modem and plugged it in a different socket, tried it with a surge protector strip, the outlet on the wall (where it is now). I just don't know what else to do, except post here. If this doesn't work, calling tech support is my next option.

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me out, I work better off the phone than on. So thank you in advance for any help and I hope I didn't ramble on and make it difficult to understand what I was trying to say. Oh, and I will add that other state code when it happens again. I will try to get to this post to check for replies as often as I can and as often as it will allow me! 

Have a great day everyone! Woman Wink

UPDATE: Here is the other state code that I usually get, I get this one the most: 

State Code11.3.1 -- A problem receiving data has occurred 
Summary Operational StateDown 
Data Allowance Remaining8.223 GB 
Renee & Jerry
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Renee,

I'm glad that the tech was able to figure out what was causing the issue and get it fixed for you.  

And please do come back here if you have a problem or question in the future.  IMHO, this support community is the best place to get help for just about anything with your HughesNet service, or even anything that you use it for.  

Again, I'm glad it's fixed and working the way it should.  🙂  

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU

@claynaytion

A modem giving you a 12.1.9 state code is almost assuredly something the reps are going to have to take a look at.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  It can take them up to a day or two to reply, but they're usually pretty quick.  I'll tag a couple of them so that they will be sure to see this thread.  

In the meantime, if you don't already, please make sure to leave the HughesNet modem plugged in so that the reps will be able to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  It would probably also be a good idea to make sure that the power plug at the back of the modem is pushed in all the way.  Be careful, as it's a delicate plug, but just make sure it's inserted all the way.  

@Liz

@Amanda

Thank you, I will be sure to leave it plugged in. I always do anyway. I also had checked and rechecked all cords and connections to make sure nothing was lose. This is weird because I JUST got this modem not even 2 weeks ago give or take. I haven't sent my old modem back yet, I'm wondering if maybe I should try that one? I doubt it will work though because I tried everything under the sun trying to get that one to work, and finally caved in and called hughesnet support, that person was stumped too and just sent the new one.

Thank you for your quick reply!

Renee & Jerry
GabeU

@claynaytion

You're very welcome.  🙂 

At this point you should wait to see what the reps come up with.  To be honest, I doubt the problem lies with the modem, though they'll be able to say for sure.  Additionally, since you last powered the modem it has been logging everything that has been going on with the HughesNet equipment, and that additional info can help the reps, as well.  Unplugging the modem and reconnecting the other one would cause those logs to be lost, and it probably woudn't make any difference. 

Again, I would wait to see what they say.  

Well, I just got a  phone call from Hughesnet asking to confirm a technician coming out on August 7, I didn't even know I had scheduled an appt, but I'm not gonna say no! I thought maybe someone may have tried to schedule on with me on here, but I don't see anything. At any rate, hopefully if it's not fixed by then, it will be fixed by the tech.

Renee & Jerry
GabeU

@claynaytion

Chances are they came to the conclusion that a tech visit was needed to fix the issue, but they haven't told you yet.  LOL.  Maybe a miscommunication of some sort.  Hopefully @Jorge or @Amanda can confirm.  

With that said, I figured it would probably be something that they would have to come out and fix, as those state codes don't usually show up in that way unless there is some type of equipment or aiming issue.  

I hope the fix goes well.  🙂  

Claynaytion, I understand the urgency of the repair. I looked at the order, and it looks like it has been rescheduled for the 8th. What I will do is provide you a credit for the extra time it takes to get this resolved.

@Jorge wrote:

Claynaytion, I understand the urgency of the repair. I looked at the order, and it looks like it has been rescheduled for the 8th. What I will do is provide you a credit for the extra time it takes to get this resolved.

The tech came out today. Turns out, something was wrong with the cable that runs from dish to modem. He replaced it and now everything works. I think he replaced the radio also.

I want to thank everyone for helping me during this time, and I just want you to know that I am SO HAPPY to have my internet back! LOL! That was a long month using my very slow hotspot from my cellphone!

From now on, I will come here for any problems. I liked the help and advice received from everyone.

Have a great rest of the summer! Myself, I am a cold weather person and am counting the days until fall 🙂

Sincerely,

Renee

Renee & Jerry
GabeU

Renee,

I'm glad that the tech was able to figure out what was causing the issue and get it fixed for you.  

And please do come back here if you have a problem or question in the future.  IMHO, this support community is the best place to get help for just about anything with your HughesNet service, or even anything that you use it for.  

Again, I'm glad it's fixed and working the way it should.  🙂  

Hello claynaytion, thank you for your patience as we were investigating your account. We believe there needs to be physical adjustments made to your outdoor equipment to resolve the issue, so we did schedule a tech visit free of charge. I'm glad you were able to confirm the appointment. Sorry for the confusion.

The tech came out on Tuesday and thought he had fixed it, but it started doing the same thing again, so he was thinking it needed a new radio because he said the one there now wasn't working, he had one in his vehicle and replaced the old one. He said that the new one didn't seem to be working either and that he didn't have any other ones with him and would have to come back, but he didn't say when. In the meantime I do get a new code along with all the same ones from before, it is:

State Code30.1.1 -- Web acceleration connection in backoff state 
Summary Operational StateDegraded

Like I said, he never said when he would be back by, so until then, I will be hotspotting it. I will try to check this forum but my phone reception is spotty up here. I am definitely going to need this to be fixed. Sooner rather than later.

Thank you for the time you all have spent on my problem so far, I really do appreciate it. Have a great day!

Renee

Renee & Jerry
Jorge
Alum

Hello claynaytion, thank you for reaching out to us, and thank you for the state code. Amanda is currently reviewing statistics on our server to make sure there are no issues at your gateway. I will get back to you once we have more information.