Hughesnet Community

DNS settings question for Mark, Corrosive, BirdDog, or whoever else might be able to help...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

DNS settings question for Mark, Corrosive, BirdDog, or whoever else might be able to help...

I use a Netgear router with my HT2000W.  I have the WiFi in the HT2000W disabled, and run everything through my Netgear router, which is, of course, connected to one of the LAN ports on the back of the HT2000W.  

My question is this:  I want to use Google's DNS for all of my devices, so do I change the DNS from automatic to Google's in my Netgear router or in the HT2000W?  

I've only been using Google's DNS in my desktop, so I had the DNS in my desktop's network adapter set to Google's and both the Netgear router and HT2000W modem set to automatic, but I want to make is so all devices use Google's DNS. 

Thanks for the help.  

When I originally wrote the title I included Gwalk.  I forgot.  😞  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@GabeU

Yup, pretty much. Automatic will always use whatever the next device forward uses.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
infinitytec
Junior

Maybe put the NetGear one on auto and change the modem.
Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

@infinitytecwrote:
Maybe put the NetGear one on auto and change the modem.

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't quite sure.  

I could just try it either way.  It's not like it's an experiment that would hurt anything.  Well, just my luck...  J/K.  😛  

Depends on how many devices you want to automatically use it.

If you want to change everything at once, change it as far forward as possible, i.e., the modem.

Just remember it affects how the Meter works, since it will now need the IP of the modem gateway (192.168.0.1) to work.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine

I should note that the main reason for me asking this is that Google's DNS tends to be more stable for me.  Using HughesNet's I sometimes have problems, especially with Amazon.com.  

It was primarily for my phone.  I have four devices.  

1:  The desktop I am on now, which is what I mostly use and normally have set to Google's DNS on its own.  

2:  A laptop that is connected, perhaps, twice a month, primarily to keep it up to date and save a system image (once per month).  

3:  A notebook that is connected once per month, max, and that's only to keep it up to date and to save a system image.

4:  A phone that's connected about every other day, mostly to keep the programs up to date, but sometimes to use after I've shut my desktop down.  

The desktop, laptop and notebook I can set to Google's DNS in their network adapters (the desktop normally is, as mentioned).  Again, it was primarily for the phone, and to make things a little easier.  But, if it's going to screw up the Usage Meter, it's not worth it.  

If I set the Netgear router to Google's DNS, will it cause the four things connected to use Google's DNS without causing any issues with the Usage Meter?  Basically, all adapters and the HT2000W set to automatic, but the Netgear router set to Google's DNS.  All four devices utilize the Netgear router.  

If you set the meter(s) to find 192.168.0.1 as the default modem address it shouldn't be an issue either way. It's only when you set the meter's modem address to the named one (I forget it offhand, something like www.systemcontrol.com) and the DNS is not set to Hughes' is when the meter gets weird.

GabeU

I've never had any issue with the meter, even when I had the HT2000W set to Google's DNS and didn't use the Netgear router.  

The meter's default setting is 192.168.0.1.  

Again, though, if I set the Netgear router to Google's DNS (and the HT2000W and all devices to automatic) will the four things use Google's DNS since they are all going through the router?  

@GabeU

Yup, pretty much. Automatic will always use whatever the next device forward uses.

GabeU

@MarkJFinewrote:

@GabeU

Thank you for the help.  I appreciate it.  🙂