Data Vaporizing

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechWarrior
Freshman

Data Vaporizing

Got up this morning, June 1, beginning of a new data cycle  and noticed that I had used 241 Meg of our daytime data before the daytime data allotment was running for the month.   Our overnight hours are from 12AM to 8 AM.   At 5:45 AM 241 Meg was missing.

How is this possible since it was before the data stream had even started!?   I'd love a tech support answer on this one.

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Based on everything you have shared with us, you are probably correct that the 12 am to 2 am window was when the data was downloaded - since I was under the impression 12 am was the sacred overnight time -(ok, I was told 2 years ago that midnight was the beginning of the overnight period by one of the reps).   I'm setting up my airport to turn off access for devices until 2:01 am.    I recall a similar issue last year but not a single rep figured out it could be the time factor...

No need for Liz to throw me a token bit of data but thanks for the info.

Lloyd Sherman

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There are no overnight hours for 12:00 (Midnight) to 8:00AM.  The Bonus Bytes timezone is 2:00AM to 8:00AM, and if you are a legacy HN7000/9000 subscriber, it's 2:00AM to 7:00AM.

However, if you feel you have a data leak, then please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, this is known as an isolation test and will help determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo datahog2_zpsijjnkamn.jpg

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  If on the HT2000w, please disable wifi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect, it is best when doing step two, to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occured, but should be rather negligible. 

Thanks for the reply.  I'll give it a test on the weekend.

Was told by hughes 12AM to 8AM although it could be 2AM to 8AM.  Any data after 8AM on the west coast shows up in daytime data, not before...

Regardless on this one, 241 megs of data dissapeared 2 hours prior to even 7AM...

I'll reply back with the results.   BTW  if data leaks, where does it go?!

The unit goes based upon your local time-zone unless you are on a VERY old service plan.

So if your unit had a data reset on 6/4/5 it would reset at 12:00AM your time, that would result in two hours of potential usage that would be reflected in your Anytime Bytes before the Bonus Bytes period would start for that day.

AfterAfter

Here are the results.   Wasn't missing anything from the day time minutes.   BTW  Modem is a Hughes HT1100.

So the original question was - where did 241 megs of daytime data go in hte middle of the night?   Day time data is not counted until after 8AM in the morning here.  A better question is (as everyone who uses the service would like to know) where can We get it posted back to use?

Thanks  I do appreciate your help.   We aren't newbies to the system and have had some issues prior to this which were unresolved.

Screenshot 2017-06-02 21.54.02.png

@TechWarrior wrote:

So the original question was - where did 241 megs of daytime data go in hte middle of the night?   Day time data is not counted until after 8AM in the morning here.  

The 241MB could have been used between 12:00(Midnight) and 2:00AM as I stated earlier, that would have been reflected on your Anytime (Daytime) Usage and not the Bonus Bytes.

Like I stated earlier, the Bonus Bytes are used ONLY between the hours of 2:00AM and 8:00AM.  When a data reset occurs, it happens right at Midnight, not at the onset of the Bonus Bytes period.

24 hour data block.PNG

Did you have any devices connected during that 2 hour window at the start of the day your data reset?

As far as getting that data back, that is upto the Hughesnet Moderators and Employees that work on this site on the weekdays. @Liz *might* be kind enough to give you a 500MB token, but what you have shown us is that there is really no data leaks occuring, at least, during the test.  The 3MB difference on the Bonus Bytes could have been used the moment you reconnected as your computer was probably requesting information.

Based on everything you have shared with us, you are probably correct that the 12 am to 2 am window was when the data was downloaded - since I was under the impression 12 am was the sacred overnight time -(ok, I was told 2 years ago that midnight was the beginning of the overnight period by one of the reps).   I'm setting up my airport to turn off access for devices until 2:01 am.    I recall a similar issue last year but not a single rep figured out it could be the time factor...

No need for Liz to throw me a token bit of data but thanks for the info.

Lloyd Sherman

Oobopshebam
Spectator

My data was gone after 2 days and I didn't download anything. 20 gigs!!!!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Oobopshebamwrote:

You may not have actively downloaded anything but something used your data.  Keep in mind that not all things when off are actually off, and some can still use data.  If you'd like help in determining what might be using your data please start a new topic in Tech Support.  You can do so here...  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

Gaming consoles and satellite TV receivers are known to use a LOT of data, even when not actively doing anything.  

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You're on an old thread - you may want to create a new one.