Hughesnet Community

Did anyone else have an "outage" around 2:30PM EST to about 2:45PM EST? This was on Monday, 7/3.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Did anyone else have an "outage" around 2:30PM EST to about 2:45PM EST? This was on Monday, 7/3.

I noticed that I couldn't open a web page.  I checked the SCC, which showed a problem, and noticed that my signal strength had gone down to 30.  I went outside, found a small weed that had grown in front of the dish, cut it down, then came back inside.  Now it was down to 9.  I went back out to check the cables, found a somewhat loose connection at the fuse block, tightened it up, then came back inside.  Now it was at 12.  I restarted the modem and the computer, and when everything came back up it was at 13.  So I waited.  Then, at about 2:45, sure enough, the signal popped back up to 112.  

No cloud cover here or at my assumed gateway in Roswell, NM.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Gabe,

Your gateway is actually in Roseburg, OR. The only thing I see that happened on Monday was a partial 10 min outage on a different beam, but same gateway. Since it was so short of an outage, I don't think we were able to catch whether any other beams on the gateway was similarly affected.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Usually that would be indicative of a bad storm at your gateway...  Usually this happens on occasions at night when they are performing maintenance... It's possible something went horribly wrong and they had to perform maintenance on the system during typical use hours.

GabeU

A storm was the very first thing I thought of, and I checked the weather map.  There is a line of storms near there, but nothing there at the time.  It's possible, though, that the radar was not up to date.  

I would think that, if they were doing maintenance, the signal would dump altogether, not lower and then rise.  This surely did seem more like a storm getting in the way of the signal.  

Edit:  It's also possible that the gateway isn't actually in Roswell, but that it's called that because Roswell is the nearest sizeable city.  

maratsade

No issues here, but that weed does sound suspicious...:)

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

No issues here, but that weed does sound suspicious...:)

I've seen stranger things happen.  😛

It was actually directly in front of the feedhorn, so I thought that, perhaps, it might be interfering, though doing it all of a sudden didn't make much sense.  

Hi Gabe,

Your gateway is actually in Roseburg, OR. The only thing I see that happened on Monday was a partial 10 min outage on a different beam, but same gateway. Since it was so short of an outage, I don't think we were able to catch whether any other beams on the gateway was similarly affected.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I liked Roswell NM better as it at least offered up the chance of alien intervention as opposed to just Gremlins as a cause.

Jus' say'n

Smiley LOL

GabeU

@Liz

Roswell was the only city I could think of that started with the ROS, and, no offense to Roseburg, OR, but I've never heard of it.  LOL.  😛

Still, it's good to know for sure where my Gateway is now.  I appreciate that.  

Haha, I assumed it was Roswell this whole time too.