cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loveoldtrux
Sophomore

Download speed when ""buying"" additional tokens

Hi gang,

Still pretty much happy with my Windows 10 load last year - still can't get that token doo-bob to work from the taskbar; no complaints there... would be nice if it worked, though Man Happy.

Reason for post: about to run out of allowed bandwidth.  Will need to buy toekns for a project I need to download which is over 50 GB.  Ughhh.  I understand for my current Hughesnet subscription I'm not paying for the "wide-open" data connection where I can run at unlimited unthrottled speeds (I only get paid $8 an hour Man Frustrated).  BUT.... when I have to pay $50-$75 extra for needed tokens to be used at 3am -5 am are the "paying customers" (me) granted unlimited speeds at that time or am I still throttled back to mid speeds?.... I reference 3 am - 5 am as the Gen 5 is probably less congested at that time compared to 2 pm during the week...

Thanks for the read,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@loveoldtrux

When you buy tokens after having run out of data, the token data is used just like your Anytime Data, meaning your speed is no longer throttled for anything you do (save what the Video Data Saver does with streaming, like normal).  But, once the token data is exhausted you'll be in FAP and throttled again.  

So, if you buy 25GB of tokens, you'll have 25GB of non throttled data to utilize.  Your speed will still be subject to congestion, like it always is, but it won't be throttled like when you are out of data and in FAP.  

Keep in mind that token data is automatically utilized when you have it and have run out of Anytime Data.  You can't toggle the use of token data on and off.  It'll always be used until you either run out of token data and go into FAP, or your normal monthly data allotment is reset.  If the latter occurs, you'll carry the balance of the non used token data with you to be automatically utilized when, and if, you again run out of Anytime Data.  Non used token data continues to roll over every month.    

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade

Mark, are you saying you've run out of all your data, including the bonus bytes? (the bonus period is 2 to 8 am, and we all get 50GB to use during that period).  ETA:  When you buy and use tokens, your speed is restored.  Also, each token is one GB of data and costs $3.  The smallest token package you can buy is 3GB for $9.

tokens.png

Maratsade,

Right have run out of ALL data due to some updates from windows I was forced to run several times.  So back to my original question; does Hughesnet release all throttles when I have to ""pay"" for additional tokens - do they remove all speed limitations for data download?  Am I assuming correctly that ONLY when my data allowance is over limits.... THEN is the only time they throttle me?...

Thanks,

Mark

GabeU

@loveoldtrux

When you buy tokens after having run out of data, the token data is used just like your Anytime Data, meaning your speed is no longer throttled for anything you do (save what the Video Data Saver does with streaming, like normal).  But, once the token data is exhausted you'll be in FAP and throttled again.  

So, if you buy 25GB of tokens, you'll have 25GB of non throttled data to utilize.  Your speed will still be subject to congestion, like it always is, but it won't be throttled like when you are out of data and in FAP.  

Keep in mind that token data is automatically utilized when you have it and have run out of Anytime Data.  You can't toggle the use of token data on and off.  It'll always be used until you either run out of token data and go into FAP, or your normal monthly data allotment is reset.  If the latter occurs, you'll carry the balance of the non used token data with you to be automatically utilized when, and if, you again run out of Anytime Data.  Non used token data continues to roll over every month.    

GabeU - most excellent answer!!  EXACTLY what I was looking for!.... looks like I need to round up about $300.00 from somewhere. 

Marking this as a solution - thanks!

Regards,

Mark

GabeU

@loveoldtrux

You're very welcome.  Happy to help.  🙂