cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hhill65
New Poster

Exceeding my monthly data plan

Hello

I have a family of four and we all have a smartphone, we have 3 smart tvs and 3 laptops. They are all connected to the wifi and at some point. Additionally, we distance learn and I tutor through zoom. Currently we are on the 30gb plan. Lately while streaming, it takes about 3 hours to watch an hour and half movie because of contiunual downloading. I just realized that the data saver option was not being applied and I have activated that option. Is this enough to help keep my data usage under the limit? Also my house is about 2400 square feet, should my wifi reach throughout the house, cause it doesn't consistently?

Thank you for any information you can give me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"I just realized that the data saver option was not being applied and I have activated that option. Is this enough to help keep my data usage under the limit? "

Not likely. If you get 30GB allowance for 30 days, this means your household and devices can use only 1 GB a day (less in months of 31 days).  That's not a lot of data and it gets used up fast. 

"Lately while streaming, it takes about 3 hours to watch an hour and half movie because of contiunual downloading."

This is likely a congestion issue. You may want to try disconnecting all devices from the wifi except the one you're using to stream.  You can also consider other options such as PlayOn Cloud. 

"Also my house is about 2400 square feet, should my wifi reach throughout the house, cause it doesn't consistently?"

Use the HughesNet app to measure the strength of your wifi in different areas of the house. If there are areas where wifi measures as fair or less, you should consider HughesNet's wifi booster. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
maratsade

"I just realized that the data saver option was not being applied and I have activated that option. Is this enough to help keep my data usage under the limit? "

Not likely. If you get 30GB allowance for 30 days, this means your household and devices can use only 1 GB a day (less in months of 31 days).  That's not a lot of data and it gets used up fast. 

"Lately while streaming, it takes about 3 hours to watch an hour and half movie because of contiunual downloading."

This is likely a congestion issue. You may want to try disconnecting all devices from the wifi except the one you're using to stream.  You can also consider other options such as PlayOn Cloud. 

"Also my house is about 2400 square feet, should my wifi reach throughout the house, cause it doesn't consistently?"

Use the HughesNet app to measure the strength of your wifi in different areas of the house. If there are areas where wifi measures as fair or less, you should consider HughesNet's wifi booster. 

Thank you for your respones. I have been considering upgrading the data plan but since we are having unusually higher usage right now I want to explore other ideas before doing that. I will use the app to check the signal strength, would the location of the modem have any impact on the signal strength throughout the house?

maratsade

Sounds reasonable! As for the modem, my understanding as a subscriber is the tech installs the modem in the best place in the residence. The distance from the devices to the modem does make a difference, though, which is why the wifi booster can help, as it would be placed halfway between the modem and the area with weaker wifi.