Gen 5 Problems!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelButler
Freshman

Gen 5 Problems!

We just received our our Gen 5 service yesterday (50GB plan) which is supposed to give us better speeds compared to our congested Exede service. Unfortunately, we were only getting speeds of 0.28 Mbps download and 1.0 Mbps upload. I called tech support twice yesterday. The first call they told me that 5 Mbps download was about the best I could hope for. The second call (with 0.28 Mbps download) they PROMISED me that my speeds would increase to 25 Mbps within 24 hour. Well, it's 24 hours later and my speeds are hovering around 3 Mbps download.

I've very disappointed in the new service and am ready to cancel and go back to Exede.  Is there a better way to get tech support than calling in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing that speed test, I will include this in my report to management about your situation. I've also replied to your latest PM; I hope we've sufficiently addressed your concerns. Do come back if you have additional questions, we're happy to help.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

MichealButler,

You should be seeing 25Mbps easily unless you happen to live in one of the smaller areas that Jupiter II doesn't cover.

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

I just figured out that we are on Echostar 17 which is not a Gen 5 service. How can this be changed?

Echostar 17 can provide Gen5 service plans, but right now the bird is so overloaded that Hughes is trying to wait on providing those plans on that bird unless you live in one of three areas where Echostar 19 doesn't cover...  I suspect you live in one of those areas...?

Jupiter II Service MapJupiter II Service Map

Yes, I live in McMinnville, Oregon which is in the blacked out area. What can HughesNet do? My speeds are so slow that my internet isn't usable. I will need to go back to Exede tomorrow if Hughes can't make this work.

I'm very disappointed since the only reason I signed up for HughesNet was for Gen 5.  I even had to pay extra for the Gen 5 compatible router. I hate to terminate with Hughes since I just started yesterday, but looks like I fell for the bait-and-switch. 

/shrugs/ Maybe @Liz can do something for you tomorrow.  I am surprised they don't give network priority for Gen5 plans on Jupiter One for those areas that can't get Jupiter II yet.

Here are my results....a whopping 0.49 Mbps: 

http://testmy.net/db/gJ6xCawr8

Just when you thought my speeds on "Gen 5" couldn't get any slower.....they are!

I'm at 0.248 Mbps! 

http://testmy.net/db/p5R3OgdUF

Hughesnet, please cancel my plan. I've been on the phone with tech support for 3 hours today and they still can't figure it out. Your tech support claims that I'm on Echostar-19....which is a lie! My dashboard shows that I'm on Echostar-17 and my installer confirmed with me tonight that I'm on Echostar-17.  Now tech support has upgraded me to level 4 tech support....not that I care anymore.

Hughesnet, please do the right thing. You made a mistake by signing me up for Gen 5 when you can't provide the service. Let me cancel with a refund and I will gladly go back to Exede. I will gladly pay you for the 0.25 GB of data over 2 days which isn't much because see above for your download speeds. Thank goodness for Exede!

MichaelButler,

The only way to cancel service is to call Hughes at the service number and request an immediate cancelation of service... Hughesnet can not perform cancelations online.

They will send out a box for you to return the radio located on the dish, as well as the modem.

I will agree though... Hughesnet shouldn't be accepting Gen5 installs on Jupiter One/Echostar 17 right now, it would leave a bad taste in anyones mouth.

Curiously, when clicking http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com/limited.html#!/general/summary   and looking at "Satellite Name" what do you see?

Corrosive,

Thanks for the advice. I want to be reasonable and give them until 10 am tomorrow to fix the problem. Otherwise, I'm pulling the Hughesnet plug and will return to my Exede service. Hopefully, Hughesnet will do the right thing and let me out without a long fight.

Your insight has been helpful....many thanks! I hope others don't fall victim to this bait-and-switch and get shoved onto Echostar-17. 

They will probably let you out of contract, though I think they will still require the first month service fee (technician has to be paid somehow since they are usually third party, Hughes wont take a loss on that I bet).

But, I don't see them fixing it by 10AM tomorrow, wouldn't be feasible since it's a congestion issue on the system.

But, like I said earlier, maybe Liz can figure something out for you tomorrow.

I consider the initial install the fault of HughesNet. HughesNet should have never let me sign up for the Gen 5 service knowing that the Echostar-17 was oversold. I wasn't privy to this knowledge prior to the install. It's simply the mistake of HughesNet and they should eat all the costs (including the 3rd party install). 

I will keep everyone posted on my outcome.

Good morning Michael,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page, I've sent you a PM to address your concerns. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the response. I have responded in kind. 

FYI, I just ran another speed test on testmy.net which is off-peak for my region and am getting around 11 Mbps which is less than half of Gen 5 speeds.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing that speed test, I will include this in my report to management about your situation. I've also replied to your latest PM; I hope we've sufficiently addressed your concerns. Do come back if you have additional questions, we're happy to help.

Liz, thanks for resolving to my satisfaction. I hope to come back to HughesNet when the congestion is resolved for my satellite.

Glad to hear it Michael, we'll be here if you need us. 🙂

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Edit.  

MichaelButler - Thank you for posting.  We can resolve this for you today.  Expect a call from the HUghesNet office.

Hello community, been having speed issues with Hughes net for last six months, tech support said issue was in having Gen4 system and upgrade to Gen5, which became worse. Kept telling them thy have a bandwidth issue and no one wants to listen, they just go through their troubleshooting chart to make you feel like they are doing something to solve your problem. It appears from this community posting that it is readily apparent that Echo17 which my summary details does not have the bandwidth. My "case" is supposed to be escalated to engineering to "fix", to make me feel better. I really hate being treated like an ignorant carbon-based life form from this company and personnel...

The marketing folks are what the French would say are pigs being fed jam at the trough while the rest of the farm starves...

Sad to find in the community posting that what I have been experiencing (slow speeds) for the last six months with this service is still going on...what is that smell???

case# 108107941

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mongomay

This is an old thread and pertaining to a resolved issue.  To keep your issue separate, please create a new topic in the tech support section.  You can do so by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in said section.