Hughesnet Community

Gen5 Awful Performance - Just can't browse the net.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haroldo_psf
Freshman

Gen5 Awful Performance - Just can't browse the net.

I am appalled at the service I have with Hughesnet and the Gen5 equipment. I simply cannot browse sites like amazon.com, squareup.com, and many others. 

I am now stuck after having bought the equipment and signed up for a 2 year contract. I am will see about the legal ways to return everything and get out of the contract.

I have been on the phone with tech support 2 or 3 times, each time over an hour. 

Yes, I rebooted the modem. Yes I disabled web acceleration.

I have seen other threads here which show other Gen5 users also are having the exact same issues, like:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/GEN-5-Wifi-Router-Issues/td-p/75565

or

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Issues-with-HT2000W/m-p/76115#U76115

What is this!? I am  so angry after having invested over $400 including equipment and I simply cannot use the service for the most mundane things. 

I can check gmail and make wifi phone calls, and that's pretty much it. 

Is there any thing else I can try before going through legal ways of ditching this service and getting my money back due to Hughesnet not proviging their end of the contract?

My neighbors keep asking what do I think of the new service, and each time I tell them they just cannot belive it. I should have listened and gone with excede. Shame on me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Liz

Thanks for the link. This past weekend out of desperation I tried some reset procedure posted on a previous thread (reset button for 3s then WPS for another 30). Not sure if that is correct, but after doing this, and then a power cycle (had to do that because all lights went dead after the reset), it just magically started to work, so I don't want to touch it.

I am now able to browse normally, my smart TV has full network connectivity (amazon videos, netflix, etc), my Synology server is fully accessible from outside, my wife can do work on square, and life is beautiful. 

If things go south again I'll diasable the UPnP as the link suggests.

I wonder though, if this is a known issue as the link states, wouldn't hughesnet want to have this feature diabled by default? that would save everyone a lot of headache. 

Anyway, thanks for your help, I'm marking this as solved 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
cableguy69
Spectator

Heraldo, 

Thanks for this post. I have been trying to make the decision to move from Gen 4 to Gen 5 specifically because the Gen 4 has not got the Web acceleration and throughput that my Excede account has for HD video Streaming. You have, I believe settled this for me. Thanks

With Web Acceleration enabled, then I can't do anything. If I disable web acceleration I can at least make phone calls and stream Pandora. If web acceleration is enabled, then nothing works, really nothing.

No matter what I do (with or without web acceleration) I cannot go to amazon.com or squareup.com (the site my wife uses to run her business), and many many others. In fact, it's probably easier for me to list the sites that I CAN access, because it's only a hand full. 

The situation is pretty serious now, and I am locked in this contract. I'm glad I'm saving others from falling in the same trap.

Well, I asked the question, "What if Gen 5 doesn't perform any better, am I still locked into my commitment?" which was responded with a resounding yes. That alone made me somewhat suspect. Sorry you are having trouble. 

Gwalk,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the W/A is nothing more than a buffer to remove the appearence of latency. Does the Gen 5 hardware (modem and Tria) and Network allow for decent acceleration. As I mentioned, Excede has no problem with this. I was hoping the Gen 5 solution enhanced this capability from the Gen 4 where my basic internet web accelleration is half what it is on Excede. What I'm reading suggests this is not the case. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Web Acceleration is a mixture of things...  It's a proxy that performs web caching, it prefetches data, among other things.  It has no impact on latency though, no amount of "acceleration" from either company is going to remove the minimum 500ms latency it takes for your request to go out and come back.

Web acceleration aside, is there anything else that could be causing such a basic functionality to not work? 

Is there any way to get expert support on this without having to spend hours on the phone with the first tier?

I switched to Gen 5 a week ago up here in Alaska. I use 5 devices. One thing to keep in mind is the distance and the wall thicknesses that the signal has to pass though to the modem. I had to move one of the computers closer to the modem to get a good wireless signal Another solution is to hook and ethernet cable from one of the 4 ports on the back of the modem to ur pc.

What is your signal strength? Mine is a 95. Maybe your'e on the edge of the footprint?

Hope this helped u a little.

@haroldo_psf wrote:

Web acceleration aside, is there anything else that could be causing such a basic functionality to not work? 

Several things:

Weather at your location

Weather at your Gateways location

'Filtering' action on the part of your A/V (Norton and Avast come to mind)

'Tinkering' with the DNS database by Hughes as they continue to roll out and tweak the Gen5 Gateways and Modem firmware

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Gwalk900

Could it make any difference trying it directly connected vs Wi-Fi?  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@GabeU wrote:

@Gwalk900

Could it make any difference trying it directly connected vs Wi-Fi?  

Yes!

There are a number of wireless adaptor settings as well as distance/interferance issues that can affect wireless performance.

When troubleshooting an issue always reduce the number of variables to the minimum.

Gwalk900
Thanks. I doubt it has anything due to weather though. I can access specific sites consistently, like google, gmail, and stream pandora. I can download email attachments also without a problem. Other sites I can never access, like amazon, square, etc. 

As far as modem signal strength, I am right next to it with all bars. 

I'm wondering how come other Gen5 customers are not screamin bloody murder on this.

I've disabled TrendNEt (my A/V), and tried this on 2 windows laptops and 3 mobile devices, all with the same results (Android devices cannot access google store, which is another thing that doesn't work).

Right now, when we need to take care of something urgently, we have to drive 20 mintues to town and do our online work on our cell phone connections. I feel cheated and taken advantage of, after buying the equipment and paying $50 a month for this under contract.

Anyway, I will call support yet one more time tomorrow to try to get some kind of resolution or refund. I dread having to repeat myself to tier 1. My blood pressure is rising now just thinking about it. 

Cableguy,

In both Gen4 and Gen5 you are behind  a CGN web acceleration server. W/A can be toggled on/off in both service levels.

As for 'HD video streaming', you have to ask yourself if doing so is a wise choice due to the data limits mandated by having a satellite connection. Steaming video is a very data intensive activity not well suited to a metered connection type.

Liz

Hello Haroldo,

Thank you for your patience while our engineers work to address your concerns. Please try the steps here and let me know if they help.

Looking forward to hearing back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz

Thanks for the link. This past weekend out of desperation I tried some reset procedure posted on a previous thread (reset button for 3s then WPS for another 30). Not sure if that is correct, but after doing this, and then a power cycle (had to do that because all lights went dead after the reset), it just magically started to work, so I don't want to touch it.

I am now able to browse normally, my smart TV has full network connectivity (amazon videos, netflix, etc), my Synology server is fully accessible from outside, my wife can do work on square, and life is beautiful. 

If things go south again I'll diasable the UPnP as the link suggests.

I wonder though, if this is a known issue as the link states, wouldn't hughesnet want to have this feature diabled by default? that would save everyone a lot of headache. 

Anyway, thanks for your help, I'm marking this as solved 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"This past weekend out of desperation I tried some reset procedure posted on a previous thread (reset button for 3s then WPS for another 30). Not sure if that is correct, but after doing this, and then a power cycle (had to do that because all lights went dead after the reset), it just magically started to work, so I don't want to touch it."

Good to know that this approach worked!

Good morning Haroldo,

I'm so glad to hear this, thank you for sharing what you did before the system started working normally for you, I'm sure our engineers are interested in hearing this so I'll pass this up to them. We're already working on a software update for the modem to address this issue so that disabling UPnP won't be necessary in the future. 

Please don't hesitate to drop by the community again if you have additional concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!