HN9000 - Code 30 - Too Many Bad Slots

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidSTX
Freshman

HN9000 - Code 30 - Too Many Bad Slots

Hello. For the last few days, I have been getting "Code 30 - Too Many Bad Slots" after the modem starts up. It will go into the "Code 25 - Terminal is Fully Operational" first, but there will be no connection, through a browser or pings. After a few minutes, it will change to the Code 30.

During the daytime, it will usually reconnect after several minutes, going to code 25 and staying there. I will then have Internet all day.

After dark, however, if the modem is off and I start it back up (I am off-grid, and shut it off to save power) it will go into a Code 30 and stay there. There will not be a connection until the next morning typically.

This happened about a month ago for a few days, then went away. Now it is happening again. Saturday night (May 16) and last night (May 18) there was no connection at all. Monday night, it finally re-established just after midnight, I think.

When the system was first installed, like 5 years ago, the Receive Signal Strength was 160 to 180 all the time. Now it hovers between 98 and 114 typically, and I have noticed that when the connection problem occurs, signal strength is between 90 and 95.(Though during storms, I have seen it as low as 70 and still had a connection.)

All the wires seem to be in good shape, and it works fine in the daytime for the most part. Could the radio be failing? Or does the "Too Many Bad Slots" refer to communication problems with the old Spaceway?

If repairs are necessary, I think it would probably be better to upgrade to the Gen 5 system. It is a long, long way to roll a truck out here. I am hoping it is just a temporary glitch though. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Good morning David,

Welcome back, thanks for sharing what's happening. I ran diagnostics on your site and I do see that the dish could use a repoint for optimal signal. I can dispatch a tech, but if you'd rather upgrade to Gen 5, by all means you can do that too. You can upgrade online via Shop/Upgrade at http://my.hughesnet.com/ . 

If you want me to dispatch a tech, please let me know your preferred date(s) and times for a visit.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Liz

Good morning David,

Welcome back, thanks for sharing what's happening. I ran diagnostics on your site and I do see that the dish could use a repoint for optimal signal. I can dispatch a tech, but if you'd rather upgrade to Gen 5, by all means you can do that too. You can upgrade online via Shop/Upgrade at http://my.hughesnet.com/ . 

If you want me to dispatch a tech, please let me know your preferred date(s) and times for a visit.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks for the fast reply Liz. If a repoint is necessary, I think I will go ahead and upgrade, thanks. Hopefully, the tech won't have to come clear from the other side of the state this time. 🙂 Thanks for your time!

David.

You're very welcome, David. I hope that since you first signed up, there's a closer dealer now to upgrade you!

-Liz