HT2000 Block Individual Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaddyRabbit
New Poster

HT2000 Block Individual Devices

TL;DR : Is there a way to block individual devices using the HT2000 Gen5?

I know you can’t reliably game using satellite, but my son’s PS4 is in constant update mode with his games and it literally chews through data in 2-3 days. He uses his cellphone for online gaming and browsing PSN, but it’s terrible for 1GB+ updates.

What I’d like to do is disable and enable his connection at will without having to change the WiFi password each time and without forcing his PS4 to “forget” the WiFi info and have to re-enter it every time he wants to update. I’d rather not have to buy another router (which I know can do this), but I will if it can’t be done directly from the HT2000.

Side note: you cannot set the PS4 on an update timer (like Windows) and even if you disable automatic updates on the PS4, it will update in the background when you start the game, so managing this from the PS4 side is a non-starter.

I know it’s a tall order, but I’m weighing my options before buying any more equipment.

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hi DaddyRabbit,

Great question! I've seen some complaints pop up in Sony's forum about this and it is very unfortunate they haven't offered a solution. I may be able to offer a couple of solutions:

First, you can try blocking your son's PS4 MAC address in the WAN Mac filtering table and using an ethernet cable to plug in the PS4 when he needs to use HughesNet. I can't confirm the ethernet side will work since I haven't tried this myself.

The second may be your best option. I have a PS4 at home which I have not fiddled with as far as settings go, but my Xbox One has 2 separate MAC addresses - "LAN" and "Wireless". I poked around google a bit and saw this image for a PS4 which looks similar to the Xbox interface.

Related image

As you can see, there are two MAC addresses. You can try blocking only his Wi-Fi MAC address in the HughesNet modem and only use a LAN cable to connect to the HughesNet service when needed. Hope that helps!

Amanda

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Your best bet would be to setup the Guest Wifi network for the PS4, and enable/disable that network when you want to allow the Playstation 4 to have access to Hughesnet...  I would recomend the MAC filter, but what you're wanting would be more problematic when going that route.

Amanda

Hi DaddyRabbit,

Great question! I've seen some complaints pop up in Sony's forum about this and it is very unfortunate they haven't offered a solution. I may be able to offer a couple of solutions:

First, you can try blocking your son's PS4 MAC address in the WAN Mac filtering table and using an ethernet cable to plug in the PS4 when he needs to use HughesNet. I can't confirm the ethernet side will work since I haven't tried this myself.

The second may be your best option. I have a PS4 at home which I have not fiddled with as far as settings go, but my Xbox One has 2 separate MAC addresses - "LAN" and "Wireless". I poked around google a bit and saw this image for a PS4 which looks similar to the Xbox interface.

Related image

As you can see, there are two MAC addresses. You can try blocking only his Wi-Fi MAC address in the HughesNet modem and only use a LAN cable to connect to the HughesNet service when needed. Hope that helps!

Amanda