Hughesnet Community

iftop

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iftop

I'm still plugging away at my data usage problem. I'm now using a glasswire like Linux utility called iftop. Most addresses I'm seeing look like normal ip addresses For example: The biggest data user is 192.168.42.103, which I suspect is the Hughes modem

But, I keep seeing this in the address field, with different descripters:

2001:5b0:2a62:5e8:97f:ca2

Anyone know what this is?  Doesn't even look like a normal ip address to me.

I probably should be asking this question on a Linux forum, but I thought I'd give it a try here first.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A new first. I'm answering my own question before I get a single reply!

It's an ipv6 address.   Doesn't match anything I can find on my system though  Doesn't use much data either.  I was wrong about the Hughes modem too, that's my ipaddr.   I'm going to mark this as solved, and keep digging

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Gaines, you dummy!  :<)>

Strike the word descripters from my last post.  Replace with destinations or sources

A new first. I'm answering my own question before I get a single reply!

It's an ipv6 address.   Doesn't match anything I can find on my system though  Doesn't use much data either.  I was wrong about the Hughes modem too, that's my ipaddr.   I'm going to mark this as solved, and keep digging

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

" A new first. I'm answering my own question before I get a single reply!"

Very efficient of you!

Very efficient of you!

LOL

I've also figured out that it's also my computers ipv6 address.   The Linux terminal window defaults to a small size  As soon as I made the window full size I could see the whole address

I should have made the subject of this  post "nevermind, I'm stupid".

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I know how you feel because often I feel like a complete eejit, but you're learning.  This is how one learns, step by step.  🙂

@gaines_wright wrote:

I've also figured out that it's also my computers ipv6 address.   The Linux terminal window defaults to a small size  As soon as I made the window full size I could see the whole address

I should have made the subject of this  post "nevermind, I'm stupid".