Hughesnet Community

How could I have used 20G in less than one day with email and opening a website or two?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freedom93
Freshman

How could I have used 20G in less than one day with email and opening a website or two?

I updated my service to Gemini at the beginning of August. I did not find that I had faster speeds and I had intermittent access to email and websites because of poor connectivity. Then I' went out of town for two weeks. During that time, my modem was disconnected from the electrical power supply. But I was also in the grace period of unlimited data.

My new month's' data began yesterday, August 21, which is when I came home. Only today, did I turn everything back on. I have had a terrible Internet connection all da  (all lights except power and system flashing), so all I have managed to do is check my email, send a couple of new messages and go to Amazon.com to create an order – oh and also spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to access my Hughesnet account on line. The rest of the time, my laptop has been shut.

Hughesnet says I have used my full allowance of 20G today. This is impossible and unacceptable. I am about ready to cancel my account. Any ideas about what might be going on?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
KitKat
New Poster

I had this exact same problem towards the beginning of the month 20 gigs gone within a day I called and was on the phone for a couple hours and finally they figured out that it was my TV service draining all my data I had DirecTV connected to my internet service and it was just eating all my data up

View solution in original post

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@freedom93 wrote:

Ok.so I think the Direct TV connection is the issue. So how do I disconnect it? There doesn't seem to be a way to disable the wifi on the HT200W.

You can go into your settings on the DirecTV receiver, choose "Internet Setup", then "Advanced Setup".  Then choose Reset Network.  It sould reset it and disconnect it.

You can also search Google for how to disconnect your DirecTV receiver from the internet.  It gives some links to DirecTV forum answers to this, but it shows the same procedure.   

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KitKat
New Poster

I had this exact same problem towards the beginning of the month 20 gigs gone within a day I called and was on the phone for a couple hours and finally they figured out that it was my TV service draining all my data I had DirecTV connected to my internet service and it was just eating all my data up

Ok.so I think the Direct TV connection is the issue. So how do I disconnect it? There doesn't seem to be a way to disable the wifi on the HT200W.

GabeU

@freedom93 wrote:

You can go into your settings on the DirecTV receiver, choose "Internet Setup", then "Advanced Setup".  Then choose Reset Network.  It sould reset it and disconnect it.

You can also search Google for how to disconnect your DirecTV receiver from the internet.  It gives some links to DirecTV forum answers to this, but it shows the same procedure.   

GabeU

@freedom93

Using all of your 20GB in one day is not impossible.  Depending on your speed you can use 20GB in a little over an hour.  

You need to determine what is draining your data and stop it.  The cloud?  Syncing?  DirecTV receiver?  Game console update(s)?  An update stuck in a download and installation failure loop?  There is a plethora of things that can drain data, and drain it quickly.   

What devices do you have connected to the Hughesnet service?  

Edit:  I see that you may have figured it out while I was typing this reply.  Please disregard this reply if it no longer applies.