Hughesnet Community

How do I configure my PC so that I can start browsing???

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0rangeGal
Sophomore

How do I configure my PC so that I can start browsing???

Well, as the Subject line indicates, I am not able to get online!  I am told by HughesNet that all one needs to do is open up a browser window, type in any website, (ebay, for example) and presto, you can see & use ebay. 

That is not true for us...after we type in, for example: www.ebay.com (in the URL line, of course), all of our browsers (IE, FF, Chrome) pop up an error page saying: 'No Internet Connection'.

Oh, our 2 PC's are connected to the Hughes modem/router combo equipment (HT200W) via Ethernet cables.)

Normally, to set up a new Internet connection (via Windows), one goes to Control Panel/Network & Sharing Center/Setup New Connection or Network/Connect to the Internet/ and so on and so forth.  The final page that comes up is the one where you input your username & password provided to you by your ISP.  I was not given a username/password.

I read somewhere online that one has to use the Setup CD to setup your PC to connect to the Hughes Satellite Internet.  I was not given a CD.

I am currently online via my other ISP.  I haven't cancelled that ISP because I wanted to be sure that HughesNet worked and that we liked it.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me how to configure my Windows 7 & 8 PCs so that we can get online, we would be very appreciative.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@0rangeGal

If you can connect to the System Control Center by clicking on www.systemcontrolcenter.com you are connected to Hughesnet and not your old ISP.  

Conversely, you can do the same by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and hit enter.  

Either way, if you connect to the Hughesnet System Control Center, you are connecting through Hughesnet, not your old ISP.  Your old ISP can't connect to the System Control Center as it's inside the Hughesnet modem.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU

Did the two PCs connect to your previous ISP without any issue?  

Did the tech who installed the service not make sure that you could get online and browse before he/she left?  

You shouldn't need any username or password with a direct LAN connection.  I'm not familiar with a setup CD.  Perhaps it was something from the legacy days of Hughesnet.  The computer normally goes through a short setup process when one introduces a new method of connection or ISP, but it's basically asking if you want it to be a private or public connection.  It should do this when you connect the LAN cable to the PC from the fully booted HT2000W modem, or even when you turn the computer on after connecting the cable from the fully booted HT2000W.  The WiFi requires passwords, both for connection and for accessing its GUI.  The GUI password is admin, and the connection's password is the SSID listed on the back of the modem (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios).  But, again, these are only for the WiFi.  A direct connection shouldn't need a password.

Are your network adapters set to obtain the IP address automatically (they normally are unless someone manually changes them to a specific IP address)?     

If you open your browser, then type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and hit enter, does it take you to the System Control Center?  If so, you are at least connecting to the modem.  If not, something isn't allowing the connection at all.  If you can get to the System Control Center, are both boxes at the top of the page green?    

Have you tried running the Windows built in network troubleshooter?  

Hopefully, someone with more ideas will pop in.  

Sorry for the delay--been busy with medical & repair appts.  Anyway, our PCs worked fine, albiet slow, before Hughes.  We had a tech over and he said that we were on Hughes and that all was fine.  He said that whatever modem the ethernet is plugged in to is where the internet is coming from; and since ours is plugged into the Hughes modem, then we're fine. 

I was confused because I thought that the network icon on my desktop (the one that you can enable/disable to go on/off line) was actually configured with our former ISP's username/password.  And also because I haven't cancelled our other ISP yet, I thought that we were actully connecting online via that former ISP.  But the Hughes tech said no; the ethernet would ignore any usernames/passwords and just connect via whatever was active in modem. 

Anyway, when our other ISP runs out in a few months, we'll know for sure if we've actually been online via Hughes or via them.  Until then, I won't worry about.

Thanks for your reply and info!

Desktop Internet 2017-07-07_17-43-50.jpg

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hello OrangeGal, if you click on the network tray icon then a choice of networks available to you should appear. You can then choose your other provider or HughesNet by clicking on them.

Like this on my computer:

Capture.JPG

We only have 1 option - the ethernet connection option (we don't connect online via wifi, just via ethernet cable).  Anyway, since we're online now, we'll just wait and see what happens after the other ISP expires.  Thanks!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If not using WiFi then your computer must be connected directly to the HughesNet modem/gateway by cable. A bit confused how you are connected.

We're connected via ethernet cable directly to the HughesNet modem/gateway. 

As I said, I was just confused about how my desktop icon (see my earlier jpg) worked.  But apparently, as the Hughes tech said to us, the ethernet cable will get the internet transmission from whatever modem it's connect to; and it (the ethernet cable) will ignore any ISP usernames/passwords that may be attached to it.

In any case, we're online and that's what we were after.  If we run into problems in a few months (after our other ISP runs out) we'll figure it out then.

Thanks!

GabeU

@0rangeGal

If you can connect to the System Control Center by clicking on www.systemcontrolcenter.com you are connected to Hughesnet and not your old ISP.  

Conversely, you can do the same by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and hit enter.  

Either way, if you connect to the Hughesnet System Control Center, you are connecting through Hughesnet, not your old ISP.  Your old ISP can't connect to the System Control Center as it's inside the Hughesnet modem.  

0rangeGal
Sophomore

If I may, I'd like to ask for help about email.  I posted a seperate topic, but it hasn't been replied to yet.  So maybe someone here can take a look.  Thanks! 

It's here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Help-with-how-email-Hughes-email-looks-works/m-p/795...