Hughesnet Community

How do I connect a HT2000W LAN output to a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChiefMike
Freshman

How do I connect a HT2000W LAN output to a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router?

This should have been simple but I am overlooking something.  My HT2000W is inside a metal building which limits its wireless range, but I do need its wireless capability inside that office building.  I ran a LAN cable from the HT2000W lan output through a conduit to another building about 25' away.  When I connect the LAN cable directly to a laptop I have full internet access and all is normal but when I connect to the D-Link router I get an error message from the windows troublehooting program that states "DNS server not responding".  I have tried the LAN cable in the Internet connection on the D-Link and plugging it into one of the 4 LAN outlet plugs.  I know it is a simple setting in one of the modems configuration but Old Timers Disease has set in and I can't remember what to do.  Help Please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

First I would like to thank everyone for attempting to help out a feeble minded old man.  I finally was driven to calling D-Link support.  I knew that I had used this particular router as bridge in the past.  BUT with my desire to keep my equipment loaded with the latest updates i had downloaded and installed the latest firmware.  Some dimwit at D-Link chose to remove the bridging capability from the firmware above version 1.04. yes, there are ways to work around their attempt to force people to buy an access point and a modem but it is a pain and doesn't work well.  So I did fix my problem, i used the D-Link as my marksmanship practice target of the day and found an Westel that i had forgotten about .  I was up and running in 5 minutes

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Have you tried setting up the D-Link router in Bridge mode?

Thanks, but yes, that was the first thing I did assuming that was the issue. I'll try it again afrer a hard reset.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Here is a good WikiHow on it: https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Routers

You should be doing the LAN to LAN connection and don't change any DHCP settings on the HughesNet modem/router.

PS: Are you setting it up and testing with a short cable first before moving to the long one?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Might the default IP address of the D-Link router be the same as the HT2000W (192.168.0.1), causing a conflict?  

@ChiefMike wrote:
Thanks, but yes, that was the first thing I did assuming that was the issue. I'll try it again afrer a hard reset.

If by "hard reset" you mean utilizing the reset button on the back of the HT2000W, be very careful, as it can cause more harm than good if it's not done properly.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

Might the default IP address of the D-Link router be the same as the HT2000W (192.168.0.1), causing a conflict?

Yes, note this step in the wiki:

Capture.PNG

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog 

I only skimmed the wiki article, so I missed it.  😞    

I just remembered it was something that was mentioned a lot, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

First I would like to thank everyone for attempting to help out a feeble minded old man.  I finally was driven to calling D-Link support.  I knew that I had used this particular router as bridge in the past.  BUT with my desire to keep my equipment loaded with the latest updates i had downloaded and installed the latest firmware.  Some dimwit at D-Link chose to remove the bridging capability from the firmware above version 1.04. yes, there are ways to work around their attempt to force people to buy an access point and a modem but it is a pain and doesn't work well.  So I did fix my problem, i used the D-Link as my marksmanship practice target of the day and found an Westel that i had forgotten about .  I was up and running in 5 minutes