Hughesnet Community

I can not access ANY Microsoft websites of Microsoft accounts.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TANatPATS
Freshman

I can not access ANY Microsoft websites of Microsoft accounts.

Liz or Amanda, I can not access any microsoft wesite.  I belive Hughesnet has blocked them PLEASE HELP!!  This is the 2nd time this has happened in 3 months, I can not acces any much needed document's in my microsoft accounts.

~PAT~

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hello,

Yes the issue is still ongoing. The biggest hurdles are over but yes there will still be access issues. It is possible you can try changing the DNS setting in the modem to see if a different server can get you there. 

Instructions can be found at http://support.hughesnet.com/sites/support.hughesnet.com/files/inline-files/1041264-0001_a.pdf (see page 30 for DNS settings) - you can try a widely used DNS address set like Google's:

Primary: 8.8.8.8

Secondary: 8.8.4.4

View solution in original post

Yes it's fixed!  I live about about 30 miles south of TANatPATS, had the same problem, and have been watching this thread- although some other sites that end in .gov were also affected.  Thanks, Amanda. 

Last time this happened (a few months ago) it WAS a DNS cache problem.   

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
TANatPATS
Freshman

I can access any other website's I try just not ANY Microsoft website.

Reboot your modem. It's likely that the DNS is corrupted.

If you still have a problem afterwards, it's likely that the corrupted DNS entry propagated to one or more of your devices:

1. Turn off all of the devices (computers, phones, etc.)

2. Unplug your modem power cord from the wall.

3. Wait 60 seconds and plug your modem's power cord back into the wall.

4. Wait until all the lights are back on (~60 more seconds) and turn all your devices back on.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Ok, did that, left modem unplugged 10 min. and ALL divices off.  Did not help 😞  Still can not access any microsoft websites or my account & email. 

Hi there,

I checked out what is going on and it seems there was a fiber line cut outside the ground station which is being repaired. Luckily we have backup systems that ensure you can still get online, but some sites/applications may see connectivity disruption until the excavation and repair are fully completed. A similar issue which could have caused connectivity to certain sites also occurred on 11/20. 

For anyone who may be following this issue because you are having a similar problem, this affects customers pointed to Echostar 17, covering vicinity locations of Beam 20 (Iowa), 43 (Washington State), 50 (South Carolina) and 55 (Florida).

I will go ahead and apply a couple of days credit to your account in the meantime and will give you a heads up when it's been declared fixed. You might find out before I do if it gets fixed over night 🙂

Thanks,

Amanda

Still not able to access my Outlook email or any Microsoft website.  I can not update any secutity updates ect. This is the 3rd day.  A

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Sometimes repairs take time, for multiple reasons, so it may be more days before they can fix the issue.  Isn't there a library nearby you can go to  and use their wifi for upgrades, or do you use a desktop? 

I live in a very rural/mountainous area at the Canadian border.  Town is a hour drive away in summer.  Right now we have snow & ice covered roads.  Can't get to library.  VERY frustrating not being able to access much needed documents,emails and security updates.  It is all Microsoft websites that I have not been able to access, it times out & says "can not be displayed"  I have been able to access all other websites.  I sure could use some help if it possibly another issue than lines being cut.....

Hi Amanda, Still no access to any Microsoft websites.  It is only affecting Microsoft, not any other website.  Could Microsoft be blocking my Hughesnet isp address?  Or do you think could be something on Hughesnet's end?  I REALLY need to access my accounts and documents and security updates & still can't for the 3rd day now 😞

OK my husband who has a seperate laptop & seperate outlook email account can not access his email or ANY Microsoft website but can access all other websites.  It seems to me that microsoft is possibly blocking or not accepting my hughesnet isp.  It keeps timing out.

Hello,

Yes the issue is still ongoing. The biggest hurdles are over but yes there will still be access issues. It is possible you can try changing the DNS setting in the modem to see if a different server can get you there. 

Instructions can be found at http://support.hughesnet.com/sites/support.hughesnet.com/files/inline-files/1041264-0001_a.pdf (see page 30 for DNS settings) - you can try a widely used DNS address set like Google's:

Primary: 8.8.8.8

Secondary: 8.8.4.4

THANK YOU Amanda!!!  I was able to access my Microsoft accounts!  I will pass the info you gave me  on to my neighbor who also has been having problems also.   Thanks again!

Yes it's fixed!  I live about about 30 miles south of TANatPATS, had the same problem, and have been watching this thread- although some other sites that end in .gov were also affected.  Thanks, Amanda. 

Last time this happened (a few months ago) it WAS a DNS cache problem.   

KatBro,I had not tried to get on a .gov site for a week or so, didn't know they were affected too. I was affected the last time by the one a few months ago too.  I didn't know it was a DNS cache problem, thanks for the info! 

It's crippling to lose access to Microsoft/.gov sites (work, tax payments, etc.).  I know problems are inevitable with any Internet service.  It makes you realize how dependent we are on Internet resources. And there are some things you just can't do on a phone, even if you can get a cell signal that day!  

maratsade

"  It seems to me that microsoft is possibly blocking or not accepting my hughesnet isp.  It keeps timing out."

No, that's not it. You've been told what the issue is and that it's being worked on.  

maratsade

If Hughesnet had blocked them, none of us would be able to access them.  I just accessed my Microsoft account and other Microsoft websites without a problem.  It's probably something else that's affecting you, but I'm sure the mods will be able to sort this out for you. 

@TANatPATS wrote:

I can not access any microsoft wesite.  I belive Hughesnet has blocked them PLEASE HELP!!  This is the 2nd time this has happened in 3 months, I can not acces any much needed document's in my microsoft accounts.

~PAT~