I feel cheated!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnlawson1
Freshman

I feel cheated!

We just had Hughesnet installed 3 days ago and it is slower than my old 3 mbps dsl. Speed test shows about 20 - 25 mbps but web page loading takes longer than my snail speed dsl. I think Hughes is screwing their cutomers. Do we have a 3 day right to recind?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Pages will load slower due to satellite latency and noticeable if acustomed to ground based internet. I notice the difference when I use my cell 4G service, the load time is quicker. High content graphic and video pages are the worst.

Using an ad blocker can speed load times up somewhat. I'm not bothered by the slower load time as I've been using satellite for about 14 years now.

Honestly, if all you're concerned with is the page load times you probably should have stayed with ground based internet.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Pages will load slower due to satellite latency and noticeable if acustomed to ground based internet. I notice the difference when I use my cell 4G service, the load time is quicker. High content graphic and video pages are the worst.

Using an ad blocker can speed load times up somewhat. I'm not bothered by the slower load time as I've been using satellite for about 14 years now.

Honestly, if all you're concerned with is the page load times you probably should have stayed with ground based internet.

I also get buffering delays while watching on demand videos.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@johnlawson1 wrote:

I also get buffering delays while watching on demand videos.

Well that is different from your original post, more specifics would help. You should be able to stream with the speeds you say you are getting. However streaming HD can cause issues if there are a lot of users doing the so at the same time. It is best to stream at 360-480p definition and even lower on small screen devices. Doing so should reduce intermittent buffering and will also conserve limited data.

Would also help to know which sites you use to video stream. No matter what site it can take a bit for the video to begin. Netflix works the best with HughesNet from my experience and I have their playback setting on the lowest definition. Amazon video streaming is the worst with YouTube being quite finicky at times.

There is also the Video Data Saver setting in the modem which can be set to on/off/snooze. You can play with it to see if it helps. This page explains how it works and how to access it: https://support.hughesnet.com/faq/internet/what-is-video-data-saver

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

According to the user agreement:

If you cancel after activation but before the end of your 24-month term commitment, you will be charged a Service Termination Fee of up to $400. The exact amount of the Service Termination Fee will be $400 for the first ninety (90) days after activation of the HughesNet Service. Thereafter, the amount will decrease by $15 per month for each month of active Service.

@johnlawson1 wrote:

Do we have a 3 day right to recind?