Hughesnet Community

I have been experiencing incredibly slow internet this past week, so I just did a speed test.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bonne131313

I have been experiencing incredibly slow internet this past week, so I just did a speed test.

These are the results of the speed test I just took today, compared to the test when I first signed up. Quite a difference!  What's causing this?
Test results can be delayed by up to 2 minutes. Please click here to refresh results.
Date/TimeDown(kbps)Up(kbps)06/29/2016 17:25:32
02/18/2016 20:40:46

1.6 MB?!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
bonne131313

I am connected directly to the modem. I disabled a BrowseSec plug-in that I had on Firefox and ran 3 tests. Dramatic difference. I'm not sure if that is connected to the Digital Ocean thing or not. 

http://testmy.net/kf7Prhd25.png Chrome

http://testmy.net/e1l734OiK.png Firefox

http://testmy.net/HGfxgCEIz.png

View solution in original post

Liz

Aha! That explains things. BrowseSec is a VPN and VPNs will definitely reduce your speeds by 50%-70%. Turn VPN off and your speeds should be normal or better.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Liz

You're very welcome! We're here if you need us. Enjoy the weekend!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

This sure makes the case for creating an account at Tesymy.net then posting the quickstats results that show the Provider name.
bonne131313

Yes! 
And I was starting to eyeball my aspen trees on the south side..."I didn't think you guys were tall enough to be a problem...... I may have to whack you!"  But it was all ME downloading an "innocent" looking add-on for "browser security". I've got to go apologize to those trees now....
This is a great community forum~thanks to all who jumped in. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Uh oh, I see a "tree abuse" lawsuit in the works. Hope they accept your apology and leave it at that.  🙂
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I almost did the same with a tree in the back.  As it was filling out with leaves this spring my signal was  dropping, and following the line of sight it was pointed right at the top.  As it turns out the decrease in signal strength had nothing to do with the tree, as after the tree filled out my signal strength crept back up to normal.  Still, even if connected, I would have only addressed the tree if it had actually caused a problem, not just a drop in signal strength.  I didn't feel the need to apologize to the tree, though, as I never told it I was looking at it in an unkind way.  LOL.