I have to upgrade a video card

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfbeck
Junior

I have to upgrade a video card

I have an HP Elite 8200 Convertable Minitower i3 that I'd like to upgrade the video card. At BestBuy I bought a PNY GTX 1050 300 watt required card. It wouldn't seat in the box because of the tabs on the card that hold it in place on the connector end landed right on the edges of the metal slot that help the blank in place.

I posted pictures (tho I don't know what size they will be) that show the metal slot just below the edge of the mother board. I read an answer to Tubs question on upgrading a vc and there was a list of GeForce cards that were almost guaranteed to work. My question is do different manufacturers built there cards with a different method of seating the connector end of the card? I've never seen one that wouldn't at least seat even if it wasn't compatable with the software or power supply.

Forgive the pictures. I used Paint which I never use but it was handy. The slot is pointed out with arrows, sort of.

Any advice is appreciated.PNY Video card cropped.png Hp Slot.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

That card should still fit.  The bar going across will just sit in the middle, with the connectors of the card being through one IO opening and the holes in the card for air flow being in the other opening.  The card you bought should fit without issue, with that bar of metal not needing to be removed.  All cards like yours are made to fit without needing to remove that opening separator.  

The following is my desktop, with a card that takes up two openings, and with the bar between the two...

Video Card.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

From the looks of the pictures, you didn't remove both of the I/O brackets to install the graphics card.  Both the primary slot, and the slot below it must have the I/O shields removed so the card can fit.  From the looks of the pictures, it should slide right on in with no issue, the bracket will most likely rest between the mobo, and back metal of the case.

Hi,

I finally got a chance to look at the machine again and I see there is another bracket that the 'loop' of metal is made out of that normally would hold the tang of a blank. The two tangs on the video card overlap that loop. In the picture I've pointed to it with a pen. If it were removed the card could be inserted but that piece of metal is not dedicated to individual blank openings, it's a solid piece of metal all the way across the motherboard end. Is what I've pointed a pen at the bracket you are referring to? I posted this picture in the large format so it would show that metal bracket is one solid piece across the bottom but if it were gone that card would fit but the other blanks would rattle around with nothing holding the bottom.Bracket.jpg

From the looks of the pictures, you didn't remove both of the I/O brackets to install the graphics card.  Both the primary slot, and the slot below it must have the I/O shields removed so the card can fit.  From the looks of the pictures, it should slide right on in with no issue, the bracket will most likely rest between the mobo, and back metal of the case.

It's a standard two-slot card. The 'tongs' are likely standard as well, meant to fit where regular 'tongs' go.

It seems as if you're trying to fit the card into the rightmost pcie x16 slot in the picture (the one by the battery) and it's possible that blue connector is getting in the way.

Perhaps try slotting it in the leftmost pcie x16 slot. The 'tongs' should slip between the board and backplane, just as if they are two blanks. The put one of the blanks back in the slot that fits behind the blue connector.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

That card should still fit.  The bar going across will just sit in the middle, with the connectors of the card being through one IO opening and the holes in the card for air flow being in the other opening.  The card you bought should fit without issue, with that bar of metal not needing to be removed.  All cards like yours are made to fit without needing to remove that opening separator.  

The following is my desktop, with a card that takes up two openings, and with the bar between the two...

Video Card.jpg

Well, I've got to take your word for it because I can't say that I've ever seen a card that wouldn't just plug in as long as the slot was correct, PCIE, and it wasn't specifically designed for a specialty box. I had to be looking at it incorrectly. I'll have to find another card at another store. This was the last one at Best Buy and I don't want to buy something in a box that's already been opened even if I 'm the one that opened it. I've heard different opinions on whether the cmos will accept it but I'll find out.

Thanks alot

Now I'll post my math problem in  a new post.

GabeU

@dfbeck

So it will not fit?